19.12.08

Virtual Christmas cookies for all!

Those yummy plates of treats are so much fun to receive and, theoretically, to make and give- but I just can't do it this year. And I will shamelessly use Marley as my excuse. Just know, wonderful friends and neighbors, that I love you and that in my heart I WANT to make Christmas cookies for you- the BEST Christmas cookies- sugar cookies with royal icing and red hots on them, buttery spritz in red and green and white, gingerbread men decorated to look like you, toffee sprinkled with pecans, thumbprints filled with jam and hershey's kisses. On a cute plate. With a ribbon on top. And a card telling you that I love you, you're wonderful, and I'm so glad our lives are intertwined. I mean it- I really do, so please except my virtual Christmas cookies- I'll make up for it next year, I promise!

And now I will rant:

WHY!?!?!?! WHY do they make CHILDREN'S toys that cost so freakin' much money?!? And WHY do my children ask for these toys from Santa?! The treasured desire of Brigham's heart is a batman lego set. He has never seen one. But he knows that Santa's elves can make one. And they can, my friends. They CAN make batman legos. And they SOMEHOW can charge $88.00 for them. Don't believe me? Go here and weep. For a bargain, you can get a lesser set for $44.95. Have I ever heard of craigslist? Why yes, yes I have. Batman legos cost even more there. No, no that doesn't make sense. Not to me, the desperate mother of a five-year-old boy. Perhaps it makes sense to the socially challenged, forty-year-old, still-living-with-their-moms LOSERS for whom these toys must really be made. I hope they have a very merry Christmas. Needless to say, Briggie will not be getting his heart's desire on Christmas morning. I'm still trying to think up an excuse for Santa.

8 comments:

Kate Alexis said...

You are SO right to rant! I'm always trying to figure out how to buy toys for the children I know and usually end up with 3 dollar bags of marbles, because everything they want is over 50 dollars!

On a side note a friend once asked me what kind of cookie I would be if I were a cookie and I answered, "A sugar cookie with vanilla icing and red hots on top." So I thought that was funny. xoxo

Jules said...

Have you checked ebay? There are a few sets on there that only cost an arm, no legs.

Laura Oler said...

I loved your virtual cookies! I think cookies for friends and neighbors are going to fall off my to-do list this year as well. Do you think I can use pregnancy as an excuse?! Good luck with the legos. Alicia wants pizza (and Katia asked for popcorn). At least it's cheap, but I don't think I'll put pizza in a stocking. Toy pizza? A coupon? I don't think a 3-year-old will get that....

team howey said...

The great thing about 5 year olds is that they are still just excited to unrwap boxes of whatever the treasure may be. I make my kids write letters to Santa but I am not sure why because Santa knows what my kids want better than they do! :) and PS, you would be chagrinned to know how much Santa has spent on Star Wars legos. Ships that you can't even play with because they just break. My nemesis.

Cindy said...

About the cookies--I second the motion! (And feel really special to have gotten some real cookies!) As usual you have expressed your feelings beautifully.

Katie said...

Shhhhh...don't tell that Cindy! :)

cat said...

dealing with the same thing with star wars lego, i got a small one (REALLY small). i know they will just be destroyed by his younger siblings.
thanks for the cookies!

Andrea said...

Katie--here's some homemade fudge from me!

My excuse--more snow than I know what to do with! We shovel in the morning to get out and again at night before we park.

The beautiful stuff is now level with my back deck (a short deck, but level nonetheless!).

Happy Christmas.