31.12.08

I hate it...no wait, I love it....no wait.....

First, an update on the "crescent rolls": I came out of the bedroom all in a tissy later that morning after unsuccessfully trying to take a nap- children making too much noise with their new toys- very grinchy of me, I know. And what did I find but pans of perfect, buttery, flaky croissants covering the kitchen counters. But because I was being a grinch what I said was, "NOW will you believe me that you were making croissants and not crescent rolls?" And then I flounced out of the kitchen. But I ate my words that evening at Christmas dinner- and they were good.

And, a thought for today: nasty cold + mastitis = feeling like a big pile of junk. Which caused me to think this thought- I HATE THIS!!!!! I hate breastfeeding. I hate that it makes me sick (this is my EIGHTH bout of mastitis people) and I hate that I have spent the entire afternoon, which I should have spent in bed, alternately nursing (ow!) and calming a cranky baby. But then. She looked at me just now with her little snakey grin and her perpetually raised eyebrows and I thought, I love this. I really do. But why does it have to hurt so much?

10 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh, Katie - I had no idea! Breastfeeding is such an emotional thing... let me know if you'd like me to take your boys for a while!

And, you're right - those crescent/croissant rolls were VERY good!

Laura Oler said...

I'm so sorry -- mastitis is the worst. I hope this is the LAST time you ever have it, and it gets better from here.

Laura Oler said...

BTW, I'm sure youve had plenty of advice, but one of my friends gave me the tip that she found wearing sports bras made her more prone to clogged ducts/mastitis, and when she stopped (or changed right after exercise), she didn't get it anymore. Anyway, just thought it might help!

Cindy said...

Katie, my youngest sister had a terrible time with mastitis. She eventually weaned her 3rd child to a bottle and both she and he were much happier...

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie, I'm with you on nursing. It was by far the hardest and most painful part of having a new baby. I hope it gets better. I gave up and pumped for a few months before putting her on the bottle, but I was a much happier person for it. Good luck!!

Robyn said...

Really, why DOES it have to be so hard. I guess good things are often the hardest. Good luck babe.

Cailean said...

I hope those croissants make up for the pain. I know they won't but maybe a little? I almost got mastitis twice and the little I felt of it, YUCK. My mother in law let me borrow her LLL book awhile ago and it said to try to pinpoint the clogged duct and massage the duct at the blockage to get it better.

s g said...

Oh Katie...I feel your pain, so sorry, you are brave to go at it 8 times and still keep on!! Your baby will thank you one day :). My trick is the second I feel any sensitivity or pain coming on...HOT PACK. You get wet rags and turn on the microwave and after they have cooled a bit...put them on, you need the WET heat to work out those clogs...send Eric back and forth to the microwave, while you lay and pack. Good luck!!

team howey said...

ditto, ditto, ditto. The past few nights Trav has gotten up with Cole in the middle of the night and given him bottles. I think I can survive it as long as I know I have my freedom, too. And I do think the kind of bra you wear makes a big difference. This time around has been more difficult for me, too. It's weird how kids can be so different from the get-go.

Laura said...

I agrree, why so hard yet so worth it?? So sad you have to have mastitis so many times!!! I was in pain with Kennedy for about 3 months and suddenly everything finally worked...and was it worth it? yes!! the nursing saved kennedy having to get a feeding tube during chemo so hang in there and know that your an incredible hot mama!!