9.12.08

Strange days, these

As I sat down to write this post, I heard Eric say: "Hi, I was calling about the chickens posted on craigslist? Do you have any chickens left?" ...and it occurred to me that my life is getting odder buy the day.

Further evidence: while looking for a meatball recipe I found this index entry: scorzonera salsify. Salsify, I learned, is a vegetable "which resembles a large beige carrot covered with tiny rootlets", or, alternatively, "a long, thin, black-skinned root that looks like a stick" (that would be the scorzonera variety). And that is why I love The Joy of Cooking.

Here are some pictures from Eric's department's Christmas party, which featured a professor dressed like Santa Claus, some really good gingerbread cookies and a lot of women in fur coats. Is that my future? I had to wonder. To be paraded about in a fur coat at Christmas parties like some trophy wife? Just as long as Marley gets a matching one...






And here is me with Marley and my cousin Janice, who came to visit yesterday morning and brought us homemade mints.


She and cousin Fred pulled into the driveway just as I was about to water the Christmas tree. I watched through the window as they got out of the car and their little dog, CJ (pronounced southern style with the emphasis on the 'J', FYI), took off down the street. Fred took off after him in the Buick while Janice pursued on foot. I shrugged my shoulders and began to water the tree, which promptly tipped over. See what I mean?

5 comments:

LizzyP said...

If you are pondering raising chickens,that's so amazing. Are you really? I spent only two years of my first eighteen without a coup full of hens in the backyard. Fresh eggs are the best. But if you're not thinking about raising chickens, forget my confession.

Robyn said...

Love those boys in bow ties.

Kate Alexis said...

Chickens in the backyard sounds like a dream.

Anonymous said...

Katie, that is all hilarious and awesome. I could use a little of that in my life.

Cailean said...

I love the images of them chasing the dog, you raising chickens, and you in a fur coat :) It's so fun to see Marley getting bigger!