5.12.08

Running again


Here is evidence that I am not the most compulsive runner out there. But I do love to run. Having a baby is an amazing experience, but it takes a while to start feeling like yourself again- physically and emotionally. Every time, getting back to running is what gets me back to being me. Last week my mom bought me a used Dreamer Design I had found on craigslist as an early Christmas present. I used to have a double Dreamer Design when we lived in Seattle. I got it when Brigham was a few months old, on the day that Eric started teaching early morning seminary. Almost every morning for the next two years, I pushed the boys up the big hill to the blessedly flat Burke Gillman trail. On the way up I would talk to them, listen to their quirky little observations, unwrap packages of crackers, etc. But when we got to the trail I put my earphones in and they knew that "mama can't hear you now because she's running".

If one of them dropped a toy I would pick it up once. If they dropped it again it was lost to the trail. Once Brigham kicked a shoe off and I didn't notice it until we got home. I loved those shoes. When Eric had worn them he'd kicked one off into the fish ladder at the Ballard locks and a worker had to retrieve it from amongst the salmon it with a long-handled net. I looked for the shoe on the trail everyday for a week. I finally gave up and threw away the other shoe, and the very next day I saw the match while driving to a friend's house- he had kicked it off on the bridge over Sandpoint Way and it had fallen onto a bush next to the road.

If they cried or screamed to get out of the stroller, I turned up the volume on my ipod. Many a disapproving stranger stared me down as I ran along, earphones in place, volume all the way up, smile on my face, while both children screamed and kicked their legs for all they were worth. Once or twice I almost didn't have the energy to push that load for five miles, and that's when I would think of my hero- triple jogging stroller lady. Somewhere in Seattle lives a woman with a set of twins and an older child that she pushes in a triple jogger- while running. Wow, is all I can say!

Mostly, though, they were good times out on the trail. The boys were content to watch for bizarre sights like the guy who rode a two story bike (two frames welded together, one on top of the other). How he got on and off, I still don't know. And the one-legged cyclist, another of my inspirations. We even trained for a marathon with that stroller (minus the long runs- I'm not that hardcore).

So as I begin a new jogging stroller era with my little Marley B., I wonder what strange sights we'll see, what great feats we'll accomplish, and what beloved articles of clothing we'll lose....

5 comments:

Abbey said...

This post brings back so much nostalgia. I remember many times you running in front of my window on Radford to hit the Burke-Gilman with your boys. You still inspire me as I've pushed my own robust boys in the double for two years. Enjoy the trails and euphoria of running!

Cindy said...

You are my hero! Tell you what--bring Marley over and I'll hold her while you run when it's too cold! ;)

Andrea said...

Katie--ENJOY! I am so happy that you now won't be pushing more than YOU weigh!! That was always a sight.

And oh how I miss the BGT and Green Lake.

Kate Alexis said...

YAY for RUNNING!!

Cailean said...

Ahhh! This brought back so many memories of you in your running gear at playgroup. I know that exact overpass thingy and can totally envision a little shoe there. There's nothing sadder than one little boy's shoe. You were such an inspiration to everyone who wanted to be an awesome runner just like you. And I'm sure even more of an inspiration/example to your boys and now Marley too.