25.9.08

Alrighty....anytime....seriously, go right ahead....anytime at all....

...or not. Nature is playing a cruel trick on me. I had Eric at 38 weeks. Brigham at 36. I had braced myself for bed rest and all manner of measures to keep this baby in past 34 weeks. And here I am, at almost 39 weeks, no sign of labor. Perhaps I should have listened to Eric, who warned me: "Katie, two data points do not constitute a trend." I swing wildly from gratitude for these extra weeks with the boys, which have truly been special, to eyeing the castor oil at the supermarket. I'm not quite that far gone yet.

Two days ago the boys and I were on our way home from my prenatal appointment and we were rear-ended by a very nice man in a giant pickup truck. I thought he was going to have a heart attack when he saw me get out of the car, pregnant as can be. Our car is a goner, which is kind of a bummer. Nothing like car-shopping with a newborn.

In the meantime, Eric is spoiling us all with his latest hobby: making chocolate from scratch. I've noticed something about him...he absolutely LOVES to breaks things down to their pure, essential form. Running barefoot, swimming without goggles, commuting to school on a fixed gear bike, grinding wheat, making chocolate. His hot chocolate, which is made of milk, honey and ground cacao nibs (or cow nibs, as Brigham calls them), is amazing. Maybe if I drink enough of it I'll go into labor?

9 comments:

Briana said...

Your posts are positively refreshing to read. I love keeping up with "your life" through your blog. I feel for you girl! I can only imagine the man's horror when he saw you get out of the car. I keep waiting to read a post that you've had your little munchkin. Good luck. I'll be saying a few little prayers for everything to go well for you.

Robyn said...

Ask Eric if 3 data points constitute a trend. I think I've got myself fooled into thinking #4 will be early, but lots of people are warning me not to think like that! I hope that little girl comes soon. And dang, I could go for some hot chocolate.

Team Draughon said...

I bet that hot chocolate was perfect on these past cold days...Good luck with waiting for your little girl! I made roasted pumpkin seeds with lots of olive oil the night before I had Jillian..coincidence? maybe, maybe not

cat said...

aaahhhhh!!! come on out already baby aldrich!
sorry about the car accident, but the chocolate has to make up for it right?

s g said...

I was 2 days over with Lewis and it seriously felt like an eternity, I did a lot of walking, I hear egg plant and spicy foods can help, I have definitely heard to avoid the castor oil though...the runs and vomiting really don't sound too appealing on top of 39 weeks prego.

wishing you good labor vibes from the NW!

team howey said...

AAAHHHH! I have been waiting for your new baby post! Come on girl, get this show on the road! But now, be honest, tell me you have a little more sympathy for me...and castor oil!

Kathleen said...

I'm so sorry that you got hit, and hope you're all feeling well. She'll come, really she will. Just when you least expect her too :) Can't wait to see the new addition to your beautiful family. Thanks for the tip on the chocolate, we'll have to try it some more until we get it just right :)
K

Elise said...

I can empathize on the already . . . anytime thing. Gavin was a week early and I wasn't ready. I got ready early for Arwen and she wasn't so I ended up feeling overdue. You just can't win! At least not until you see that little face for the first time and everything else goes out the window.

Best wishes making it through these next few days.

Lindsay said...

I just noticed the new pictures on the side of your blog - cute! I love the one of mustang in his 'cone'.

I didn't see you at church today and kind of hoped that you were staying home with massive pressure waves. :)