30.4.10

Scrambled eggs and bloody toes


I live the sort of life in which things happen, all the time, that I don't understand. I've come to accept this. Sometimes I try to figure it out, and sometimes I just let it go.

As an example, the other morning I was in my kitchen and I happened to look up at the ceiling. Eric and I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into de-popcorning our ceilings, so I was distressed to see a large area covered in pale yellow splatters. I climbed up on the counter to check it out and quickly identified the substance as scrambled egg........which made perfect sense. When my grandmother was visiting I woke up one morning to find that she had decided it was a good idea to make herself some scrambled eggs.....in a mug.....in the microwave. Didn't know you could do that? Read on.

When they were done, she took them out and went to stir them with a spoon, and they exploded all over the kitchen, so that when I happened upon the scene I found the dog licking egg off the floor, my grandmother fluttering around looking for a rag and talking to herself and Brigham taking it all in with a look of silent glee that could only belong to a child who has witnessed an adult making a very big mess. That was the end of that mystery and it fit perfectly into the puzzle of my life- I am the kind of woman who would have eggs on her ceiling. I embrace it.

But this has really got me stumped:

I'm a slow starter in the mornings. Usually by the time my teeth are brushed, my bed is made, everyone's been fed and the kitchen is relatively clean, Marley and Mustang are running around the house, frantic to get outside and go for a run. So I open up the front door and let them frolic on the lawn while I get my shoes on, update my podcasts, etc.

Lately, by the time I make it outside, both of Marley's big toes are bleeding. And she seems totally unaware and un-bothered by the fact. What is she doing in the three minutes between my opening the door and being ready to go??? Maybe I'll have to crouch in the bushes tomorrow and spy on her....

Thoughts?

3 comments:

E B said...

I like your description of Brigham best :). No idea about the toes, though! Anything heavy she could have dropped on herself outside?

Cindy said...

Not a clue, but I'm LOL!

Mindy said...

Do you have a sidewalk she crawls on? That's what used to do it to my kids... :)