13.4.10

Goodbye day


Today was a Goodbye day. I remembered it as soon as the alarm went off at 7:30. Even though my grandmother was only here for two days, I knew the house would feel empty when I got home from passing her off to my cousins for the second part of her trip this afternoon, especially with Eric out of town. I shuffled around in a sleepy daze, putting yogurts into lunch boxes, issuing orders to put on socks and glasses. Goodbye followed me around like a shadow.

Grandmom came in my room while I made the bed and tried to decide what to do for the morning. She said she didn't care- we could go the quilting morning at the church, to the library, take the tour of historic Stagville, whatever I wanted. I said I would call Lindsay to see what she was doing and she said, "Lindsay is just the dearest person in the world." My throat closed up and I thought, yes- that's exactly what she is.

In the end we stayed home and Grandmom drew me a family tree and told me stories of my ancestors while Marley emptied my bathroom drawers. Then we took Marley to Lindsay's and went to the museum for lunch. I saw an old professor and stopped to talk. He said he remembered me, which I doubt. While we waited for our food we called Eric in Atlanta but he didn't answer. Then we called my brother in California and left him a message telling him he ought to be awake by now. I thought I saw Goodbye out of the corner of my eye, but I looked away and took another bite of my sandwich.

After lunch we wandered through an exhibit of contemporary Chinese art. Grandmom obsessed about a giant painting of men in what looked like baggy speedos and I contemplated how fuzzy the Art History corner of my brain has gotten. I checked my phone and found it was time to get Marley and pick the boys up from school.

We drove to Chapel Hill and met my cousin at Trader Joe's. I wandered around and let the boys put cartons of chocolate soy milk and Gorilla crunch in the cart. I bought two hiacynths. We hugged goodbye at the car and I drove home thinking about the purple hyacinths my mom planted when we lived in our old house in Durham. I glanced in the rearview mirror and caught a glimpse of Goodbye in the way back. Eric called back to say his job interview went well. It seemed like a formality. They might make him an offer next week. I took a breath and tried to be excited for him, because he sounded excited- and happy. But it was hard, and I was glad when I had to tell Brigham to stop trying to kill his brother with his homework folder.

At home we ate frozen pizza from Trader Joe's. I fed Marley her bottle and did Mad Libs with the boys. When asked for a body part, I said "nipple" and they laughed so hard I thought they would pass out. I almost forgot about Goodbye, until I was standing at the sink scrubbing a cookie sheet. I thought of climbing the magnolia tree in my front yard when I was eight. Carrying boxes into my dorm on East campus. Kissing Eric on the quad with books spread out around us in the grass. Bringing my first baby home to our apartment on Central campus. Birthday parties for Brigham at the gazebo. Driving out I-40 to the beach. Friends that will be a part of me forever.

How do I say goodbye to all of that?

11 comments:

Robyn said...

Beautiful, beautiful post. Sounds like a lovely day.

Cailean said...

It sounds like you're moving? So, well, you don't say goodbye. I don't think there's ever any "goodbye" permanently. People and things are part of us and make up who we are, so they live on through us. And we can never recapture our past anyway, even if we visit the place. It's empty because it's not back in the time when we were young. So in that sense "goodbye" happened years ago. Exciting for your changes!

Englebright said...

:( I have been thinking about you.

And as always, BEAUTIFULLY written.

Cindy said...

Sniff...you're going to start my day out by making me totally cry, aren't you?!?

I totally and completely suck at goodbyes. The End.

Kathleen said...

Looks like the next step of your journey is getting ever closer . . . everyone keeps moving forward, I sometimes feel lost between yesterday and tomorrow somewhere. . .

E B said...

I think Goodbye has become more of an Au Revoir for me, because even if I don't see a friend (or place) again in mortality, I'll see them later. And I live in an extremely transient place at the moment. I've been thinking of you, I'm glad you posted!

Andrea said...

MORE--MORE!!

Not that I am wanting more sad thoughts for you (moving--moving on is tough), but Katie that was beautiful. I must hang out here more often!

Lindsay said...

You're killing me, Katie! If only we could ignore Goodbye - - -

Liz said...

Every time I read a post like this from you I think of Mrs. What-her-name in AP English in 11th grade, who basically told all of us (at least those associated with the Church!) that we couldn't write. Well, Mrs. Whats-her-name, I beg to differ. You are a writer Katie, and I love to read your writing. It is inspiring. moving, and motivating all at once. Thanks for sharing. And I am feeling so many of the same emotions - only spread out over a very long period of time, and I couldn't really put words to it until I read you post just now. Good luck with the upcoming changes. There is beauty in life, wherever it may be.

Mary Peterson said...

Dear Katie,

Hello, girl. This is your old friend from Maryland, Mary Burton, now Mary Peterson (as of a few happy weeks ago : ). Lizzie (Parsons) Kenealey recommended I read your blog, and I'm so glad that you did. I am so moved. It was beautiful. I wish you and your loved ones the best. You have a beautiful family and an amazing calling as a mother, and many adventures ahead, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing your amazing-ness with me (even though you may not have realized that you were: ) Love you!

lindsay eyre said...

Hey Katie--

That was gorgeous! Where was the job interview?

You are a writer!