12.1.10

What should I make?

"My pottery class starts tomorrow."

silence

"What should I make?"

He looks at me, blinks. "Huh? What should you make?"

"Yes, in my pottery class!" I say, indignant.

"But you didn't say anything about your pottery class," he replies, and then laughs, telling me I mumble. Always have.

"Marley," he asks the baby, "What did you just hear Mama say?"

silence, then chubby legs kicking the carseat

"See?" he says, smiling. And I do.

Then, "Don't you think they'll tell you what to make?"

"Oh," I say. "No, I don't think they will."

------------

Imagine. Telling someone what to make. That wouldn't be right. Would it? I don't want them to tell me what to make. I want to tell myself what to make. My thoughts wander back to what I should make...

toothbrush holders for the boys...

a mug...

a pie plate...

------------

"A mouse," he offers.

"Oh. No. It's a wheel class- it has to be something round."

------------

a trashcan...

a vase...

a bowl...

A bowl, yes. A giant bowl that we could flip over and crawl underneath and live inside. It would be warm and echoey. And people who want things and need things from us, they wouldn't be able to get in. They would tap on the bowl, and wait for us to come out. But we would stay under, and laugh and talk and eat popcorn together...

But... I think, as the car rolls to a stop and the doors open and it's time to get out and go to baskeball practice...

It may be that they will tell us what to make.



4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I LOVE your thought processes ;) They might tell you what to make, to teach you technique and then open up the realm of options your creativity will unleash in the future?

Laura said...

Katie...I just love your posts!! Have you ever thought of making it a career or something?? You always keep me on my toes and I can never guess what you will come up with next!! I'm glad that things are going well and I really hope that you enjoy your class and I think that I will make some resolutions like yours :)!!!! They are HILARIOUS!!!! You make me happy!!!

E B said...

Hooray for a resolution not to make resolutions! I never really make them. I guess I figure I make goals as I need to. Have fun with the pottery class! I would love to do something like that one of these days. Maybe my Eric will evenings off someday... Or maybe I'll learn new things on youtube! Like painting!

Cindy said...

I can't wait to hear about the class!