5.1.10

2009 Holiday Recap

My blog is constipated. Since this is as close as I come to scrap booking, I've been nagging myself to post about Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can't write about all the other fascinating thoughts swimming around in my head until I do. And now all the thoughts are getting backed up and I have stomach discomfort!

So, in short:
Marley was the cutest little ambiguous gray animal you've ever seen for Halloween. Eric was a Duke basketball player and Brigham was Harry Potter. I tried to sew the wizard robe, but Lindsay had to bail me out as is our tradition.

Eric has worn that Duke jersey almost every day since Halloween. Notice the Michael Jordan pumpkin and the barefoot pumpkin....

This is what I spent my Thanksgiving morning doing. Not much cooking or cleaning, no. Creating some pretty darn impressive mowhawks, which were shown off at the ward football gathering...

We had Thanksgiving dinner with the Alders and the Engelbrights, which is why the next two pictures look strangely professional (thanks Melissa!). The kids rocked out to Owl City before bed and then we grownups watched Elf. I no longer hate Will Farrell.


This ornament didn't know it when it had its picture taken, but his days were numbered. Marley dismembered him soon after, along with a host of other ornaments...

I love these kids. It's fun to see Marley grow and become "one of them", so that's it's less and less "the baby" and "the boys" and more and more "the kids".

The only picture I have of our Christmas tree in all its glory...

My cousin Laura came to visit us for a few days before Christmas. She had the most INSANE time getting here and we lost two whole days of her visit to the snowstorm up north, but we still had a great time. Hopefully she's not taking notes from me on how to be a good mother, but I'm definitely taking notes from her on how to be a great Aunt. Let's see...what questionable television shows will I be exposing her children to?....:)

And, the BIGGEST EVENT OF THE DECADE: I sewed an article of clothing!! All by myself! Linds consulted extensively, but she never touched her foot to the pedal...
These bathrobes were my Christmas present to the boys. They love them. They sleep in them every night and try to get away with wearing them all day long (and who are we kidding-- sometimes they succeed). I made them enormous because I figured if I was going to stay up until 3 A.M. for the 3 nights before Christmas, I wanted to get some mileage out of them. They have pockets, collars, belt loops and everything. Eric made them a wooden castle, which they also love, but it's not completely done yet. We wanted to cut back on the materialism of Christmas this year, and we were mostly successful. My favorite moment? Opening my gifts from the boys: a little plastic teddy bear grasping a fake rose from Eric and a mood ring from Briggie. I'll cherish them always. Even though the mood ring is always purple when I put it on- and purple means I'm feeling romantic.....

5 comments:

Melissa E Photography said...

a purple mood ring? aaw. I bet big Eric loves the romance inducing mood ring. :) My luck would be getting a mood ring that was stuck on the "rage" emotion. haha. :)

Jennifer Isom said...

As I leave for Hawaii in 2 days, I don't think my Christmas card will be making it out this year. Maybe I'll hope for a nice Easter card or maybe just wait until next year but get started on it by Halloween. I love reading your blog and seeing how Briggie and little Eric are doing. Such cute boys! ANd Marley is adorable. We have fond Seattle memories of you guys!

Cailean said...

So I suppose this blog post could have been titled Ex-Lax? :) I love all the fun photos! And rockin' out to Owl City is perfect. Have you heard his Hello Seattle song?

LizzyP said...

I love your voice in your posts. And the "if I'm going to stay up until 3 A.m." line is straight from your mouth--love it.

Unknown said...

Loved teh Mohawks! And the ambiguous grey animal. So glad you got to spend time with Laura.
Love you all, Aunt Rachel