11.1.10

Resolved.


I keep reading blog posts about how people don't like January, and it's made me realize that January is actually one of my favorite months. I do love September, since it contains my birthday and the weather is perfect. Come to think of it though, the main reason I love September is that beginning-of-school, fresh-start feeling--very similar to January. I love to take down the Christmas decorations and have my house feel clean and uncluttered again. I love tackling projects at a leisurely pace (this year: clean out garage so I can park in it again!...organize pantry...sew pillows for sofa, in purple and hot pink because those were the fabric scraps I had...). I even love the dead, barren look of winter trees because I know that they've shut down to rest and regenerate for the coming spring.

I can't figure out how I feel about New Year's resolutions. I like to set them, but I never have much luck with the follow-through. One thing that the past year has taught me is that for me, lasting changes happen when they're ready to happen. Like for several years now I've wanted to start baking bread instead of buying it. I never got past the first loaf, which was always a disaster. Then Eric went ahead and took the bread-baking initiative, got us all hooked, and then sort of fizzled out (at least I'm not the only one!). So I took up the reins, got good enough that I actually like the bread I make, and I don't think I bought a loaf from the store all year. But had I set a resolution not to buy bread, it might have actually prevented the change from occurring in the first place. Does that make any sense?

Another thing: exercising less. I know how crazy that sounds, but every since I can remember, I've had an unhealthy dependence on exercise. Like I couldn't go on a trip unless I knew I could run. Or I would run even when I was sick. Or the week after I'd had a baby. It was confusing because exercise is obviously a healthy habit and regular exercisers get a lot of praise from friends, family members, doctors and society in general. The problem, of course, is when it's in control of you and not the other way around. Anyway, I happened to get injured this summer and was forced to take several months off from running. The misery that caused me was enough for me to realize I needed help- which I got- and now I have a healthier relationship with exercise. No New Year's resolution could EVER have broken that compulsion. It was something that drew from and reached into almost every area of my life and was much too complex an issue to be dealt with by a simple commitment or goal.

So the best thing for me, I've decided, is to set low-stakes goals that will give me something fun to work toward, but won't sabotage the natural process of deep change and growth that always takes place when I'm doing my best to live the Gospel. Like this...

Resolved: I will concern myself more with the state of my figer- and toenails. Specifically, I will buy at least four new colors of nail polish and strive to use them regularly.

Resolved: I will make over-the-top desserts in the middle of the week, just for my family, not because someone is coming over. I will suppress my frustration when Eric finishes off the entire dessert while cleaning up the kitchen.

Resolved: I will become a night-time kitchen cleaner. There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who clean the kitchen after the kids go to sleep and then go do productive things before retiring to bed early, and those who lie around on the the couch like slugs and then get up and read blogs, watch youtube videos and eat brownie batter until all hours of the night. I'm convinced that it all hinges on the decision to clean the kitchen.

Resolved: I will take classes in things that interest me, even if they have no practical application to my roles as wife and mother- like my pottery class that starts tomorrow- woohoo!

Resolved: I will teach my boys to open the door for me.

I think I can do those things, and if not- who really cares?:)

11 comments:

cindy baldwin said...

I feel the same way about January. I just love the new year, the fresh start, the chance to look back on the last year and see how much I've grown and to look forward to the new year and anticipate things to come. And I know what you mean about resolutions too - I try to keep my list small, to a few essential things, and usually they are things I am pretty good at anyway but want to be better at. So then it's not the huge pressure of adding something entirely new into my life - it's just improving on something that is already there.

elizabeth said...

I love this post! I need to take better care of my nails too. hmmm.....I am going to copy your ideas!

s g said...

I need to get on with the resolution/resolved thing too, I really like your ideas and the dessert one is possibly my favorite, I might just have to steal it :).

Melissa E Photography said...

You expressed my thought about resolutions exactly. I like the idea of them. For the first week in January I stewed over a big word, catchphrase or goal that I could work on. Then I realized that I don't work that way. It's great to take inventory on our progress, but I can't tackle year long goals. I need small goals that I can check off a list.

I think your list is perfect!

And you know what? After I realized what it was that was cramping my style (Aaron going back to school and the cold temps keeping us cooped up all day), I feel much better about it being January. :) I'm realizing that a NC winter is so much better on my psyche than a Utah winter. Hooray!

Sheesh.. world's longest comment over.

Kathleen said...

Your logic totally makes sense to me! I love your resolutions too, I used to be somewhat of a perfectionist. I'm not really sure what changed that part of me, Motherhood? Life? Realizing that many many things are completely out of our control no matter how hard we try to control them? don't get me wrong, I like things to be done well, but they don't have to be done perfectly, things can grow and change, as long as they are moving in the direction they need to be. I personally love January, because most years I decree it as my personal month ;) Anyway, I love your "resolves" and the fact that one of them includes your boys opening the door for you. Love it!

Lindsay said...

This it totally why I love you, Katie! When I'm over here stressing about life and January, you're over there thinking about your toenails! What would I do without you?! I'm using you as my inspiration this month. :)

birdsays said...

Katie, you rock girl! Thanks for your honesty and breath of fresh air! I don't make yearly goals either...tried once or twice, never with good results, just frustrating ones.
Miss you!

Laura Oler said...

Let me know how the kitchen cleaning goes. If it works *maybe* I'll try it. I have to say that potter sounds fun though -- can't wait to hear what you decide to make. I'd love a bowl to hide under...

Eric Aldrich said...

My bread making never fizzled until you stole the reigns! I was always very consistent at being sporadic at making it. It wasn't until you demonstrated your proficiency at being consistently consistent that I just gave up. Now we always have bread in the house...

Cindy said...

I love what you say about goals. Amen, sister. And I have to say that for me, everything hinges on going to bed and getting up on time. And I hate it... But I'm not sure that I'm ready yet to set a goal to get up on time!

Liz said...

I am typing this as I just finished eating a piece of chocolate chip banana bread while reading your blog.... as my kids are in bed being read to by my husband. Does that put me in the couch slug category?