1.1.11

New


It rained all day today. I always (ever since reading Our Town in the tenth grade) consider that a good omen on a first day. I tried to imagine the challenges, trials and fears of 2010 washing away, soaking deep into the Georgia clay of our front yard. It was a year of change, and I don't relish change, ever. But I made it through with my head held high and my sanity (mostly) intact.

2011 will have changes of it's own- big ones, with eternal consequences, in the form of a new person in our family and in the world. Eric will once again put his life's work on display in the hopes that someone, somewhere will want to pay him money for his thoughts. We'll celebrate a baptism. We'll buy a new car. We'll go to the movies in June and watch the credits to see the name of someone we know. Maybe I'll get out my sewing machine, or my knitting needles, or plan a trip to Disney World.

Lots of resolutions are floating around in my mind tonight, and I'm not sure yet which ones are the important ones, aside from this one:

To make it through an entire year without running out of gas once.

A tough one, but I think I can do it...


*Picture by Lindsay, who I think took it because of her many memories of our gas-less mishaps:).

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

sounds like you have quite the year ahead of you, what a great post. i need to re-read our town.

Kathleen said...

he he he he he he he he (that's me laughing little silly laughs, and thinking the not-running-out-of-gas-once resolution is a good one ;)

Lindsay said...

Here's a little trick my siblings use: pretend the tank is only half of what it actually is. They never let their tanks get below the halfway mark. I could never do that, personally, because I'm too much of a procrastinator... but who knows, maybe you could do it. :)

And you're right...I definitely took it because it struck me as funny. (it was taken on a Sunday, too!)

Cindy said...

Here's a suggestion. Break the gas gauge in your car. Hypothesize about how big your tank is. Keep track of your mileage using the odometer. Put gas in it as if you think you know how big the tank is, but you're never really sure. That's excellent motivation to gas up more often! (And I was totally a gas procrastinator before the gauge broke!)