30.9.10

Cleaning day(s)

I'm cleaning house today and tomorrow and thinking of a book I read a few years ago about a community of Orthodox Jews living in Tennessee. My favorite parts were just before the holidays (and it seemed like there was one around every corner), when the women busied themselves cleaning and cooking. You could feel the anticipation and excitement rising from the pages.

My heart was light as I pushed the vacuum cleaner under the crib to suck up dust bunnies and the odd silly band. I imagined my clean, peaceful house on Friday afternoon, ready for the words of prophets and apostles to echo through its halls. I thought about how messy and cluttered my life and my heart sometimes get, and how nice it is to get to cleaning day and know that everything will be put back in its place, and the floors will smell good and the bathtub will shine.

That's a nice feeling.

10 comments:

Kerri McMahon said...

What a nice way to think of things. I have been cleaning too. I LOVE a clean house. I just wish it would last a little longer. :)

E B said...

Wow! You're really on top of getting ready for General Conference! Want to clean mine when you're finished with yours :)?

Cailean said...

I love this. :)

justbecky said...

Did you get Marley's shirt at Trading Tables? I think it might of been Emily's and it makes me so happy to see it. I can't believe how big she looks. I can't wait to see her in person.

Cindy said...

What a great way to look at it!

Laura said...

I can't believe how big Marley is and all her hair!!! And I LOVE THAT YOU REDID YOU WEDDING PICS!!!!!! That is the best Idea ever!!! And really you guys haven't aged a bit..even though you clam you are 30 now! You look just, if not more beautiful! Happy birthday!! I have actually loved being 30 for that very reason...I can now say I am old even though I still look 21 sometimes!

Kathleen said...

L-O-V-E the pictures and post! :)

Kathleen said...

L-O-V-E the pictures and post! :)

Lindsay said...

I hear ya! I even bought a yummy smelling fall candle to burn while I watch so I feel all warm and cozy on the outside while feeling warm and cozy on the inside as well. :)

birdsays said...

Ahh, that would have been a good idea...to clean house first. :) I just watched the kids color and cut and color and cut all through conference. But you know...I didn't notice the mess, just was happy they were happy and quiet. And I think they actually caught the spirit of the conference, I heard lots of sweet words between them and very little, if any fights. Only wish that spirit could last! For me and them.