22.10.10

Dinner plans

There is this house in my neighborhood that I'm obsessed with. I met the woman who lives in it while we were waiting for our kids at the school one afternoon. She had a B.O.B and I was thinking about getting one, so I asked her if she liked hers. I asked where she lived and she named the street, specifying, "next to the blue house".

The blue house is like the pretty blond cheerleader that everyone loves: cute in an obvious sort of way. But the house next to the blue house is like the girl who doesn't immediately stand out, but once you get to know her a little, you think she's pretty. (I use this analogy for a lot of things: towns, schools, teachers, houses...it's very versatile.) Anyway, personally, I always go for the less obvious- the diamond in the rough- and that's what this house is. It's long and low, with a faded brick exterior. The yard is a plain, flat expanse of grass with little in the way of bushes or flowers. There are no curtains in the windows, no pumpkins on the porch. I imagine the interior being equally plain and unadorned: white carpet, very little furniture, mostly blank walls. It's peaceful and uncluttered in a zen sort of way. I love it.

I spent the day putting the house in order and cleaning the bathroom, which included the sinkful of broken glass I found when I woke up this morning. It took me ten minutes to figure out that a light bulb above the mirror had somehow shattered and landed in the sink. For a moment I imagined Eric deciding to change it in the early morning darkness, but that just didn't seem likely. Later I asked him and he said he'd heard it explode spontaneously in the night.

Brigham went home with a friend after school and Eric and little Eric are heading to the airport soon to meet our dear friend Paul for dinner during his layover in Atlanta. Which leaves me and the girl for dinner and just try to guess where we're going?

The brick house.

They're Indian and they're hosting a dinner for the International Friends club at the school. And I'm half-Egyptian and I'm dying to see inside the house. We're taking pumpkin bread because I never have the time to learn how to make stuffed grape leaves. I'll probably walk, with Marley riding in the B.O.B. of course:).

5 comments:

E B said...

BOBs are the joggers of choice around here too. Enjoy the brick house!

Elise said...

OK, I want to SEE the brick house now. Surely you can pull a paparazzi stunt and share a photo??

Congrats on the BOB. I have LOVE, LOVE, LOVED both of our ours :-)

Cindy said...

I, too, want to see a pic of the brick house! Just jog by with your BOB (whatever that is!) and snap a pic! And how was dinner? We wish you could have been here for our mockingjay dinner tonight!

Artsdeco said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DNCBulldawg said...

Katie, I was like Cindy--"(whatever that is!)"--but, after three Google searches, I found an answer despite your use of three periods, i.e., "a B.O.B. is really a BOB." Cindy,see http://www.bobgear.com to be cool.

I thought that you already had a BOB! Was that just a knockoff that girl, Marley, and you took for the spins here in Durham? (Now that you're out of Eric's graduate school economy, I guess "only the best from California!"
GWBR (now you have to look one up)