20.9.10

Evening on East


Before we left Durham we took a few minutes to right a ten-year-old wrong. Let me just sum it up by telling you that at one point on my wedding day I overheard the well-intentioned, but socially awkward photographer we had hired asking my Dad to "Please step away from the tripod, sir." The pictures were- how do I put this- devoid of any speck of artistry, interest or personality.



One day I was reflecting on this as one of the great regrets of my life (in all seriousness) and Lindsay said, in all seriousness, "Why don't you just redo them?" I had recently unearthed my wedding dress for my friend Cindy Lynn to wear at her wedding and my hair was even close to the same length it was when we got married. Why not indeed?




Melissa agreed to take the pictures, so on a sweltering night a week before we moved we reenacted our wedding day on East Campus under the magnolia trees. Even though it's not where we got married, Duke is the place where our marriage was born. We met there, made our first home there, and it felt right to be there barefoot and weighed down by white satin.

By the time I saw the pictures we were long gone to Atlanta, and the sunlight shining through the giant trees with all the memories they hold made me cry.


Then I remembered that I got to take that handsome guy in the pictures with me and I felt better.

I would follow him anywhere.

13 comments:

Englebright said...

For the record, you two are the only people on the planet who can reshoot your wedding pics 10 years later and look just as good as you did on your wedding day.

And you know what I love? That your favorite pics are my favorite pics. :)

Thanks for trusting me to wash away all those years of photo regret! It was an honor. Truly.

Robyn said...

Dang it, Katie, you made me cry again.

Lindsay said...

You already know how beautiful I think the pictures are...

Really, if you think of the timeframe that most people get married, it's not far-fetched to look at those and believe that they are your actual wedding pictures - - - but they are far more beautiful, not just because of the tri-pod, but because you guys have a history of *TEN* years! Three kids, a dog, three big moves and a great understanding of how to sacrifice yourself for someone that you love. Aren't you glad those aren't your 'taken-on-the-actual-day' wedding pictures?

Elise said...

How utterly, incredibly awesome. That the idea would come, and that you would DO it. The photos are so beautiful.

Cindy said...

Those are beautiful, and I want to see more!

I love that you still love your dress. (And that you let my daughter wear it!) Within just a couple of years of marriage my dress was no longer my style at all, and it only took one baby to rearrange my rib cage so that it was never fitting my dress again.

I don't love my pictures either. I've always said I'd like to get another dress and another temple... ;) I'm so glad you did it!

elizabeth said...

How very beautiful, what a lovely idea!

Laura Oler said...

What a great idea! I'm so glad you did it. If I thought I could look as good as you guys do 10 years later, I think I'd do it too. The pictures are beautiful, as are you and Eric and your beautiful marriage. I love the play of light in these pictures, too.

E B said...

Beautiful! Good thinking.

Kathleen said...

:) Love the light! Oh, and you guys of course ;)

Toni said...

So beautiful! Great photos.

Unknown said...

Perfect pictures. congratulations!

http://nossasviagenspelobrasil.blogspot.com/

s g said...

you guys DO look amazing...what a fun idea and I am so glad you did it...happy birthday by the way...I love your motto for your 30's, you are an inspiring woman with a BIG heart Katie...:)

Linda said...

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.