23.3.10

A letter to the Jet City

Dear Seattle,

I'm missing you somethin' fierce today. The pear trees are blooming here- nothing, I know, compared to your spring splendor. Have the cherry trees exploded on the UW campus? Is everyone trekking up north to see the tulips? Are the sailboats out on Lake Washington?

I'm sorry I've stayed away. I just don't want to come back unless it's for good- I'm weird that way. Remember how fiercely determined I was to hate your guts? How I used to call Eric at school in the middle of the day for no reason other than to say "I'm not living here. I hate this rain. We're moving as soon as you graduate." But you won my heart. With your ferry boats and your sea planes and your Cascade mountains. Your Burke-Gillman trail and your John Kerry yard-signs and your Kidd Valley burgers. Your naked cyclists and your Fremont troll and your non-depressing zoo. Your wild blackberries and your Starbucks' on every corner and your beautiful, amazing summers.

How is my old apartment that used to take me an afternoon (ONE afternoon!) to clean? Does Bill the maintenance guy still turn the sprinklers on at 7 A.M. everyday? I'm doing fine here in North Carolina. When I go to the beach I can sunbathe and swim. It's only March and I have my windows open. And I do prefer loblolly pines to your towering trees. But part of my heart will always be with you. And who knows, maybe someday the rest of me too? Save me some blackberries...

Love always,
Katie

7 comments:

Elise said...

Me too!

s g said...

this is a great post...and yes, very true for me too :) whenever someone calls us to ask about what they should do in seattle, this list goes on and on and on and pretty soon I am homesick for the emerald city...especially in the summer, luckily I can drive a short 3 hours and be there :)

Lindsay said...

naked cyclists? I don't think I've ever heard about them... You've got me curious!

laura allen said...

Do you except requests? 2 blogs I am anxiously waiting for: Pottery class-with photos of fished work, and a post about the garden you have planted!

Cailean said...

Awwwwwww......sniff! Come back!

Rachel said...

Yes, what Cailean said! Come back!!!

team howey said...

Katie, I may be posting too late for you to ever read this comment, but I am going to level with you. It is raining here today. Hard. The last day of our very rainy spring break. No windows are open. No sunbathing on our beaches. The trees did bloom. The daffodils are coming up. But it is too rainy to go out and enjoy them. I fear that what you miss isn't the city but the time in your life. Me too. I want to go back, but i can't. The kids are growing up and i can't stop it. My friends don't live so close and now we have mortgages. Our futures aren't before us, we are living them. Sigh. Sorry to rain on your parade, but hey, i live in Seattle.