2.3.10

California Bound


I'm going on a little trip out to the West coast to visit my friend Megan. I've never left my baby girl before. Will she be okay? Will she forget me? Will she start calling someone else Mama? Probably not, since she doesn't even call me Mama. A few days ago she started saying 'Mommeeeee' over and over again when she wanted something. I was excited until I finally figured out that she was trying to say 'Marley'- as in 'that thing is Marley's! Give it to Marley!'.

Eric just got home from a trip to Utah where visited his sister and her sweet kids, and then was wined and dined at BYU, but told that they're under a hiring freeze and probably will be for at least a year. This, added to the stories from friends on the job market this year who've applied to hundreds of schools and gotten 2, maybe 3 offers, is giving me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I know we'll get a job somewhere, just please, PLEASE don't let it be in someplace scary like Iowa, or Maine, or Wisconsin. I don't think I could make it through the winter. I would have to run away to California for more than a few days.

In the mean time, I'll try to rest easy knowing that this imposing character is watching over my family:

Just this morning he was very angry with his brother and called him a "poop rat" as they were getting out of the car in front of the school. So you really don't want to mess with him...

8 comments:

E B said...

Wow, a trip away! Yes, this is a scary time for graduation but I must tell you that I love the midwest even with the winter. Really love it. It is very liveable, with very nice people. And this is from someone who had only lived in CA or DC before. Not counting college. The only thing I'd say to you 'summer' people is that you should get a garage. It will make the winter that much more bearable.

Kathleen said...

You're leaving your family in good hands. Briggy said, "hey, hey, I lost a tooth" tonight, as in: "excuse me, but did you not just notice that there is a new hole in the middle of my smile?" Pretty cute :)

Cindy said...

You know the best part about leaving your kids for a few days? When you come back it's like you have new eyes--you see again just how wonderful terrific fabulous spectacular (etc) your children and husband are. And if you go to Wisconsin, maybe you can be neighbors with Wells & Tami...

Belkycita said...

Have a fun trip!
I absolutely LOVE that last picture, it brings too much laughter, I might frame it for when I have "one of those days'

Amy and Clark said...

I think we all need that little Brigham watching over us and keeping us safe! Too cute.
Have SO much fun in California and tell Megan & co. hello!

lindsay eyre said...

But I hear there are super nice people in Iowa and Wisconsin. Maybe the worse the weather is, the nicer people are....

Have fun! Say hi to Megan.

Liz said...

I promise you can find things you like about the Midwest. Even if the winters are hard. It just takes a few years to get used to.....

Robyn said...

I hear Arizona is nice! Have a great trip. A little time away is much deserved and NEEDED every once in a while.