20.9.09

My personal hymn looker-upper


In Relief Society yesterday the opening hymn was Love at Home.  I always feel a little self-conscious when we sing well-known hymns since most people who've grown up in the Church know them by heart and I usually still need a little help from the hymn book.  When the singing started I had to peek over the bench at someone else's book to find out the page number (What?  Listen when they announce the hymn number and turn to it right away?  Huh?).  I started to think about my friend Eva, who always used to flip my hymn book to the right page for me when I was brand-new to the Church.  Even when the number wasn't announced, she knew every single one by heart.  

We kept singing Love at Home and I kept thinking about Eva and her family.  I thought about the time I had to stop by her house late at night to get something for school the next day.  When I looked past her into the living room, there were her parents and brothers and sisters, all in pajamas and with hair still wet from the shower, reading the Book of Mormon together.  I remember her mom's homemade jam, and how one time they decided to remodel their kitchen, so they checked out videos from the library to learn how to do it themselves.  Who does that!?  And here is a picture of my wedding cake- made by Eva's mom (and I REALLY appreciate her decorating skills now that I have tried my hand at wedding cake baking!)


I was so happy when Marley was born on Eva's birthday.  Her two little girls are so lucky to have her for a mom- someone to teach them, love them and flip their hymn books for them:).  I love you Eva- Happy early birthday!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Katie--if you feel self-conscious when singing come sit by Russ. He knows almost zero words to any hymns!

And I thought you made a lovely wedding cake, you wonderful friend!

E B said...

Thanks, Katie. You made my morning on a day that was not off to a good start with three tired girls. I saw the picture first and thought, "That's funny, that girl looks like me!" When was that picture taken?

Russ said...

And you ask who would check out from the library and learn how to do something, Cindy all the time. Our first was re-doing a couch in college all from a book.

Cailean said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who encountered perfect families soon after joining the Church! What a great friend!