8.9.09

Adventures in Oral Surgery

Today I went for my pre-wisdom-teeth-removal consultation. I was, of course, running late. I had dropped the kids off at school at nine and planned to stop at the grocery store before the 10:30 appointment. I got sucked into the mouthwash isle on the way to the checkout. Who can tell what to believe? Alcohol-based or Alcohol free? Is it worth the extra 3$ for "nighttime protection"? I stood there imagining a little army of plaque-warriors doing battle in my mouth while I slept. I picked up a 6$ bottle that's supposed to be able to dissolve the "biofilm" of gunk that brushing and flossing alone can disrupt, but not completely eliminate. I put it in my cart. I turned back to the shelf and reconsidered. I heard a crash. I turned around to find the $6 bottle on the ground, gushing clear liquid. Marley was smiling sweetly at the pharmacist, who had witnessed everything. I apologized and asked for some paper towels, and stood awkwardly while he refused to let me help clean up the spill. I was going to be late to the oral surgeon! But I couldn't just walk away while the poor man cleaned up my mess! I had to stand there and "help" by making small talk! By the time I got in the car I had 10 minutes to make it a distance I knew would take me 20.

I arrived at the office 13 mintues late (had to get lost at least once, or I might have an identity crisis). I saw on the door that the doctor's first name was Uday. Not a good omen. The lobby was sort of disturbingly plush- more like a nice hotel lobby than a dentist's office. Hi! So sorry I'm late! No, I didn't print out the paper work online. Mind if I change my baby's stinky diaper on the floor? Can I hold her screaming in my lap while he looks at my teeth? Thanks!

Actually, Uday turned out to be not sadistic at all, and even very nice. And Marley was mostly calm, having already accomplished her morning's mischief. Now I just have to decide whether or not to be put under. All four wisdom teeth are coming out, and I'm told they don't look like they'll present any special challenge. Eight shots or one IV? My hatred for IV's is strong. I'm also kind of scared to be put under, since the only time I've ever seen someone come out of anesthesia was when Brigham had his tonsils out and he was like a posessed demon-child for a good hour afterward. I really don't want Uday to see me that way. I jokingly told him that 8 shots couldn't be worse than giving birth, right? He said that some women have told him they'd rather give birth. Really? Reeeeeeeaaaaally? Have any of you had this done? What did you do and how did you like it?

12 comments:

Robyn said...

Yow, sorry you have to do it. I got put out and I'd do it again.

Joseph Tate said...

I was sedated for mine. Nichol laughs at me to this day for the weird things I did. But I never had any pain after the first day of my jaw being sore from being held open for so long. From those who've been awake during the procedure, I've heard "interesting" tales. If you're squeamish about grinding or breaking noises, go under. The IV is no worse than giving blood.

s g said...

while greg is not an oral surgeon (it is his dream), but a dentist, he does IVY sedation and pulls wisdom teeth ALL the time, you are MORE than welcome to give him a call and hash it out...the good, the bad, and the ugly. He thinks patients are in less pain and enjoy the surgery more if they are under...and you don't remember anything either.

good luck!! No way is it worse than birth...please...and especially with your first birth...nothing is worse than that and you know it!!

Elise said...

Call me crazy - I prefer my childbirth unmedicated but I don't want to know that's going on during a surgery.

I was put under when I had all four out. Would definitely do the same thing again.

Rachel said...

I second Elise's opinion! To be completely honest, I was scared to tears about being put under, right up to the minutes before it happened; and coming out of it was very disorienting. But it's *definitely* better than the alternative, I think. I'd do it that way again in a heartbeat.

cindy baldwin said...

I have to say that I MUCH prefer sedation. I personally don't respond to Novacaine at all well, so oral surgery was the way to go for me - but I've also heard from a lot of dental hygienists that sedation is better all around.

Amy and Clark said...

I went under and was really glad to not have any idea of the sawing or pulling that went on. If you are worried about becoming a possessed demon, I think you can probably act strange and say weird things regardless of whether you go all the way under or get highly medicated with shots!

E B said...

I was awake for my wisdom teeth removal and it was a completely miserable experience. So if anasthesia doesn't make you nauseous and vomit (as it does me), I'd go with that if I were you.

Belkycita said...

I was given laughing gas and David says I kind of woke up in the middle of it and started yelling and telling them to stop. I don't remember a thing and I am glad I don't, I did say funny things on the way home, but that kind of made up for the scary moment David had during surgery.

Cailean said...

Before I got braces as a teenager, I had to have 8 teeth pulled because there wasn't enough room in my mouth. 2 on each quadrant. I got laughing gas and was completely out and only remember waking up at home later that evening. Apparently on the drive home, I attacked my mom as she was driving! She had to pull over! There was a lot of pain after but it was bearable. I remember hating salt water rinses though. I still have my wisdom teeth because there was room in my mouth but aren't their roots pretty long? Recently I had to have a tooth pulled for mysterious reasons. I was not put under for that and I remember being disturbed by all the hammering but I liked being awake and in control of my brain. I don't know what is better for you. I think prayer is the only way to know.

Laura Oler said...

I have to say that I've had dental experiences that seemed worse (or at least as bad) as giving birth. But that could be because I'm slightly phobic of dentists and I can always feel it no matter what, but they always give me so much novacain (or whatever they use) that I'm biting my fat lip and not eating for close to 24 hours afterwards.... Let's just say I'd rather get birth. That said, I don't remember getting wisdom teeth pulled as being that bad, and they used laughing gas and I was awake the whole time.

team howey said...

I tell you what, skip the drama, buy a plane ticket, I'll watch Marly and Trav will take out your teeth. Nice and gentle and no IV. What do you say???