13.8.09

Oh for Pete's sake.

It's been one of those days:

First, I accidentally ripped the boys' bathroom door off it's hinges.

Then the dog ate my flip flops.

Then Marley got my ipod and swished it around in the toilet.

In other news, I feel like I should mention that our chickens died. We were, and are, sick to death over it. It was a very hot day a few weeks ago and Eric left the house at 5 A.M. to go to the temple before school. He forgot to let the chickens out of their cage so they could roam free in the backyard like usual. Someone had given us a giant piece of plexiglass that we thought we might use in a treehouse for the boys, and Eric had been putting it on top of the cage at night to weigh it down so that foxes and such could not tip it over. Basically, the sun shining through the plexiglass cooked the poor chickens to death. Words cannot describe the sorrow and remorse we all felt. We gave them a nice funeral and buried them under the shady trees in our backyard (Eric wanted to eat them, but that just seemed wrong). After a suitable mourning period, we decided that we had loved having chickens and that they'd had a happy life, save for that one awful day, so we're beginning again, armed with our new knowledge of how very fragile and precious life is. Eric's teacher lent us his incubator and gave us some fertile eggs that are the siblings of our departed chickens. We just put them in today, so in 21 days we should have baby chicks. I'll keep you updated!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, I'm sorry about your day! And your chickies, too. I'm glad you're undaunted, though, and will start again, they're so much fun to have around. Good luck with the incubating and hatching (that's going to be SO COOL to watch!)

Andrea said...

Katie--I am so sorry. I can only imagine how that experience would unfold at our house.

On another note--how did you "accidentally"rip the door off it's hinges? I have all sorts of images going through my mind.

Laura said...

what a day!!! I really hope tomorrow is better and that you enjoy your new chickens!! I love the new high chair paining!!! how fun to do! btw i need to mention again how much I love reading your writing! you have to write a book or two someday...i will read every word :)!

team howey said...

Oh so sorry about the chickens. I once had a similar experience with frogs. So when my daughter brought a frog home from the park and asked to keep it I just had to say no. But I am glad you're trying again. And i LOVE Marley's high chair. Cute.

Cindy said...

I want to know how on earth you ripped the door off of it's hinges?? ;)