4.1.12

Resolved: Enjoy life

Eric and Brigham, eating the good stuff, with S and K from across the street. 
On New Year's Eve I was not a very good wife.  Eric got sick and begged off going with me to a neighborhood party I'd been looking forward to.  He looked bad- I could tell he felt awful, and yet I flounced out of the house without so much as a backward glance when I learned he planned to spend the evening in bed (I did apologize for this later....kind of....sorry sweetie:)).

When we reached the party house, the kids were ushered down to the basement where a sitter and a wide array of crafts, food and movies awaited them.  Upstairs there was music, shrimp cocktail and fascinating conversation on every side.  I met an entire family who'd just moved to the neighborhood from Bhutan. And a woman who'd just returned from a medical mission to Kenya.  And an Indian man who, when I told him I had four children, handed his wine glass to the person next to him and bowed before me.  It was kind of an awesome night.

When I got home, all I could think about was how completely relaxed I'd felt.  No children underfoot, talking with old friends, making new ones, learning new things (like that there's a country called Bhutan!?), eating shrimp, being a grownup.

Last night, after Eric had belly-flopped on the bed next to me, I rattled off my New Year's resolutions.  I mentioned a resolution to enjoy life more.  He said, "yeah, like the other night when Eric was at a friend's house and we spent an hour playing legos with Brigham?".  There was a long pause, then "uh.......no.......not like that."  Because I love Brigham, but I'd kind of rather poke myself in the eye than play legos.  Playing legos falls into the category of things I feel guilty about not liking to do.  Just being honest.

What I meant by enjoying life was figuring out things that make me feel happy and relaxed and energized and doing them more often.  Even if it seems selfish.  Like going to parties (having a party?), or walking the dog for two hours on a Sunday afternoon, or talking to a friend on the phone while swinging in the hammock.  Crazily, when I make time to do those things, I'm a much better mother and wife, so it's not so selfish after all.  I might even have it in me to play legos for a little while:).

It's not that I don't do these things.  It's just that I do them approximately.  I unload the dishwasher and fold laundry while I'm talking to that friend, or I take the kids along to the party and on the walk.  Which is fine- sometimes, but sometimes it's like eating fat-free ice cream.  Better to go for the good stuff, even if it means having it less often.

I don't know- we'll see how it goes....

7 comments:

E B said...

Good luck! It's a process, figuring out how to be one's best self. I tend to the opposite extreme: spending more time than I should on myself so it ends up hurting my family life however unintentionally, but I'm working on it! For me, purposefully involving myself with my kids for a little while each day is working wonders in behavior all around the board including myself!

Elise said...

Bravo - I am all over your resolution. Can't wait to hear how it goes :-)

laura allen said...

Hey...thats one of my resolutions too. So this saturday, i planned a hike for me and any of my friends who wanted to tag along...because...well, just because!

Lindsay said...

Oh, but Katie... that's one thing I admire most about you - that you are able to enjoy life so much WITH your kids. You're always the one to let them stay up late with you, curled on the couch, to watch the end of a basketball game or a movie; or to take them along to concerts; or to let them stay up till midnight on new years eve; or to take them to France; or to push them along while you run; or to take the boys out on dates without the littles... I know some of these things didn't/don't seem like fun in the moment, but I look at them and it inspires me to be more like you. I think that maybe, when our kids are all grown and out of the house, those things are going to mean the most to us - - - and you're going to have a treasure box full of them!

I definitely see what you mean about more 'grown-up' fun, though, and I know that good, interesting conversation is so important to you, so I think your resolution is a great one. But I guess the grass is usually greener on the other side of the fence, and I just want you to know that when I look at your grass the way it is now, it looks deeply green to me. :)

PS - he BOWED to you?! That would be... pleasantly awkward!

Cindy said...

I think it's all about balance. And the tricky part is that the world leans heavily in one direction, and the church (and another part of the world, lol) seem to lean to strongly in the other. It's "indulge yourself all the time" or "ignore yourself all the time." I find when I hit a good balance of indulging myself in the right ways and amounts, I'm more able to really give myself to my kids. Maybe not to play legos...that's not my thing either. But I can play other games, read books, help with projects, make cookies, etc. If I try to do those thing and skimp on myself, I tend to get kindof mean...

Kate Alexis said...

That is a GREAT resolution! I like that you can see how being better to yourself is better for those you love. Very Important! Happy New Year, Katie! Your life is blessed.

p.s. I love to play legos! Anytime you need a fill in...

Danielle Bahr said...

just like eating fat free ice cream :)