17.3.11

To Marley-

(Picture by Lindsay)

Tonight I left you with a head of wet curls resting on a pillow borrowed from my bed while your own is in the wash. You picked a piece of fuzz from your binky before putting it in your mouth and pulling your purple blanket up to your chin. I closed the door and turned on the fan to protect your sensitive ears from the getting-ready-for-school rustlings of your brothers in the morning.

I have dreams for you, sweet girl. Not of degrees, travels, honors, or even husband and children. My dreams for you are of smiles that start on the inside and spread to your face, earnest tears, questions asked fearlessly, and love given and received with an open, trusting heart.

The rest is yours to choose. I'll be here, watching and learning.

Love,
Mama

7 comments:

Elise said...

Love it!

Cindy said...

So lovely and true!

(Since when does Marley have a binky?)

Just want you to know you were talked about (in all the best ways) at book club last night. We missed you!

lindsay eyre said...

You made me cry! How beautiful, Katie.

Lindsay said...

So beautiful - raising kids is so intense during those times when you feel so passionately about wanting them to get the most out of life. You put it perfectly...

Now, back to folding laundry so I can pack it all in a suitcase. Can't wait to see you! :)

Kathleen said...

Sweetness! (And I love the memory that picture brings back :)

risha said...

I know that you dont know me..and i just accidently came accross your blog...but wow. This was really inspiring. And definately a testimony builder, thank you.(:

Unknown said...

Love lifts us up where we belong. God bless you. See the power of Positive thinking within you. Please follow my blog. Positive Thoughts