2.3.11

Shift

Eric and Brigham, with assorted neighborhood children after a visit from the ice-cream man.

I read today that my baby can dream. What do you suppose a yet-to-be-born baby dreams of?

As for me, these days I dream about the fruit trees I will one day have in my yard...of sleeping on my stomach...of baking pies for my grandchildren...of sewing sleeves on Marley's prom dress...of pushing a double jogging stroller again. Those are the dreams fit to print, at least- we all know that pregnancy dreams can get a little freaky...

A friend who just had a baby gifted us with two packages of newborn diapers on Sunday. Before bed tonight, Marley clawed open one of the packs and pulled out a tiny diaper. I had my mouth open to ask her to stop, but the words got stuck. I had forgotten, already, how impossibly small they are. I showed it to the boys, who seemed unimpressed. Then Marley put it on her baby doll and hugged it close while I sang goodnight songs.

It's been said that "when a child is born, the whole universe has to shift and make room." (Stephen Gaskin).

5 comments:

Briana said...

So well put, Katie... I have to say my dreams consist of at least one similarity - sleeping on my tummy!! We, too, marveled at the size of the NB diapers when we received a sample in the mail. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, enjoy it now, if you can, because it flies by!

E B said...

Bizarre pregnancy dreams, ah the memories!

Liz said...

I think the only time a diaper is truly adorable is that moment when you see a newborn diaper after a long time of not seeing one. And then you almost have to catch your breath when you remember just how tiny they are and how tiny the baby is that you put it on and what a complete and wonderful miracle a baby is. I bought a package of newborn diapers yesterday and then I started remembering why I am going through this pregnancy stuff. I love babies. Thanks for your comment - I'll post soon about everything. Take care!

Lindsay said...

I'm impressed - you dream about things that are actually going to happen?! I'm not sure I've ever had a dream that makes sense enough to see it in the future... or that I would want in my future, anyway. :)

JP said...

you have great photos!