30.8.10

Monday, 7:51 A.M.

Waking up to the alarm this morning felt like coming out of a coma. Or what I imagine that feels like anyway. I lured Brigham from sleep with the promise of mustard toast- don't ask- and started sorting go-gurts and pretzels into lunchboxes. Eric was already at his usual perch on the living room sofa, staring out the front window as kids with parents who are morning people walked past on their way to school.

I forget what they fought about over breakfast, but I know they did, just like I know they put their shoes on and brushed their teeth and combed their hair. The hatred and the rage that they regularly feel for one another is a part of life now, so common I only notice it when a plaintive maamaaaa rises above the raucous. Some days I wonder if they'll ever speak to each other again when they leave home. Truly.

Then the moment- me in my pj's in front of the open door, one eye on the dog doing his morning business, one eye on the two of them as they mosey toward the crosswalk. I open my mouth to shout at them to look both ways and that's when I see it: Brigham starts to cross and, almost imperceptibly, Eric lifts his arm, stopping him. The car passes and they're walking with the crowd, leaving me in my pj's in the front yard, holding the dog's leash, wondering just how much I know about those two and their little boy hearts.


This gives me hope.

8 comments:

elizabeth said...

Oh your boys are too big! Time goes too fast. Miss you!

elizabeth said...

p.s. Jim and his brothers couldn't stand each other growing up. Literally would beat each other or ignore each other. Now they are all very close, get together regularly, call each other, golf, etc. It will be ok.

E B said...

My sister and I didn't get on so well together once I approached middle school years and onward to a rock bottom low in college. It's better now. There is still room for improvement, mind you, but it's obvious we care about each other now because we can talk and enjoy each other's conversation. The ties of blood win out over time. But I think it takes time, inherently, to value the ones we see perpetually before our faces.

Cindy said...

Oh I do hear you. Very few pleasant conversations happened between Jason & Josh in the last few years, and most that did happen deteriorated into unhappiness. But I know that my brothers didn't always get along before they left home, and they're very close now. And I HATED my sister for all of my teen years and now we're very close. On the other hand, I'm so hoping to avoid this with the triplets...

Kathleen said...

I know that my older brother and I fought a LOT growing up, but I can honestly say that I miss him a lot, and love being able to hang out with him and his sweet family when given the chance, and he's always watched out for me, even when I was annoyed by it. I guess the two go hand in hand-being close friends, and being great fighting compadres. All you have to do, is wait about 12-14 more years, and they'll be good to go ;)

Laura Oler said...

I haven't watched any of the church youtube messages, but that brought tears to me eyes. And partly because those boys somehow reminded me of your two, even though yours are much younger. I am sure they will be that close someday too. You are such a wonderful mother, even if you don't always see it, and they are great boys. I totally see your boys being best friends for life.

Englebright said...

That video is SO sweet. I know sibling fighting is coming our way and I am dreading that day.

It sounds like you guys are settling in nicely, but we sure miss you!

Lindsay said...

Oh gosh. I miss you guys like crazy. I can't wait to see those boys (and you of course!) - fighting and all.