2.7.09

The sun was shining, birds were chirping and the sweet smell of gasoline was in the air...

*

...I actually do love the smell of gasoline. It may be my favorite smell, right up there with dishwasher detergent. Especially liquid Cascade- our neighbors gave us half a bottle when they got a new fancy dishwasher and sometimes I give it a little sniff just because. I know. But back to the point of my post: Our ninth anniversary, which was yesterday, and went like this:

2:00- I have some time in the afternoon to either clean the bathroom or go to the store and buy Eric a humorous anniversary card and write a sweet note in it telling him how much I love him. Tough decision, but I go with the bathroom because I know it's what he would choose- he just loooooves a clean bathroom. I think I may have some issues, because I'm incapable of cleaning the bathroom and then not announcing to him "I CLEANED THE BATHROOM TODAY!!!".

3:00- I take a shower, shave my legs and even put on mascara!

5:00- Eric leaves to pick up our WONDERFUL babysitter, Gabby, after a very lengthy discussion on whether or not it's appropriate for Dads to drive around with cute young babysitters in the car. Our consensus: he picks up, I drop off.

6:15- We arrive at the restaurant 15 minutes late for our reservation to find that we're one of two couples in the entire place. Eric eats a very alarming quantity of goat cheese. I'm disappointed with my shrimp and grits. We decide to get dessert elsewhere.

7:30- We get in the car and discover that we have run out of gas. This happens to us all. the. time. In fact it happened last week in South Carolina! It's okay though, because it's such a nice night and we can never think of enough things to do to fill up our dates so that we don't get home before the kids are in bed. So we walk to the nearest gas station, about a mile away and Eric holds my hand even though it's sweaty, as it always is, and he really hates that. He only breaks away to wipe the sweat off on his shirt once.

8:00- Phone call from Gabby- Marley won't go to sleep. I tell her to wrap her in her purple blanket and bounce her on the bouncy ball. Then I say to Eric, "You didn't tell her about the purple blanket!?" and he says, "I thought YOU told her about the purple blanket!" The purple blanket is very important.

8:30- We arrive at our favorite dessert cafe and decide that to mark the occasion we'll order three desserts- coconut cake, chocolate layer cake and a chocolate eclair. Yum!

9:30- We arrive home to find that the purple blanket worked it's magic and all three kids are fast asleep.

Nine years.
Three babies.
Two cities.
Three degrees.
Three apartments.
One house.
Five cars.
One dog.
Eight chickens.


*Back in the early days...some time after our first anniversary.

12 comments:

cindy baldwin said...

LOL Katie - I do the same thing. Whatever I've accomplished during the day, Mahon has to know about it. I sometimes wait and see if I can just let it pass (not that he'd ever spontaneously notice it on his own), but I hardly ever can! It feels like wasted effort if he doesn't understand that I put it forth, LOL!

Robyn said...

Congrats you two. Love you guys, love your blog.

LizzyP said...

Hi, Katie. It's been awhile since I've checked in with you. I just love your take on life--keep telling us about it.

s g said...

happy anniversary, I love the deets of this post, especially the holding hands part...and you are killing me with the running out of gas...I remember that happening in Seattle a few times :)

team howey said...

Reading this is like I was there with you. I just love the sacrifice of holding a sweaty hand, Trav is the same way. And WOW! Awesome you are leaving Marley with a babysitter! I can't wait to get to that stage...maybe i need a purple blanket. :)

Kathleen said...

I love it! I didn't realize that we were so close in marriage age? That sounds funny, but we'll be married ten years next month, time flies, eh? Sounds like you had a nice day/year/time.

Kelly R. said...

Congratulations Katie! I can't believe that it's been nine years already...I feel like you two got married yesterday. Hope all is well!

Cailean said...

Happiest of anniversaries to you guys! We celebrate ours in September. The years seem to go so quickly. I agree with Liz - please keep blogging. You are just so awesome.

laura allen said...

i can't believe it has been 9 years! That really freaks me out!!! WOW! I guess next year is the big one!!!

Amy and Clark said...

What a fun post! Congrats on 9 years and some darn cute kids!

Amy and Clark said...

What a fun post! Congrats on 9 years and some darn cute kids!

Laura said...

I lot has happened!! I still think its fun to have the same anniversary!! My first anniversary was spent in the temple watching an awesome friend get married in the temple to a wonderful man, when about 5 years before she hadn't even ever heard about that being possible!! I couldn't have spent that first anniversary better!! Love ya! Congrats!!