20.7.09

Dear Cami,

I watched you drive away in the rain today and said a silent prayer that you would make it to Walmart in your car with the broken windshield wipers and non-opening window. I couldn't decide if the gray, drizzly day was appropriate because it mirrored the way I felt saying goodbye to such a wonderful friend, or because it symbolized a clean, fresh start for you in your new home all the way on the other side of the country.

Thoughts flooded my mind as I drove home- of our first Sunday after we moved here, when you had us over for dinner and made us feel like we had real friends already....of the time when J was a baby and you were feeding him, so I took M to the bathroom in the woods, but failed to perform the necessary shifting of clothes so that she peed all over her pants....of trick-or-treating with M the day of Merrill's accident....of Brigham and M kissing in the bathroom:)....of night-time swims at Duke getting ready for the triathlon....of Merrill on his mountain bike, Hawaiian shirt flapping in the wind....of amazing dinners from the grill, homemade enchilada sauce and Merrill's grandmom's icecream....of J and the "naked Barbies":)....of Marley and L rolling around on the carpet together....

I wish you and Merrill every good thing as you start this new chapter of your lives. I wish you a car with working windows and windshield wipers! I wish you a big house with a yard for the kids to play in that is far, far away from the parking lot of Home Depot. I wish Merrill a boss who is the opposite in every way from the advisor-who-shall-not-be-named, and colleagues who do not steal chocolate cakes. I wish you an indoor dryer. But most of all I wish you friends who will love you and surround you and lift you up the way you have done for us. And don't forget: We'll see you at the beach!!!!

Love always,
Katie




5 comments:

Elise said...

Parting is such sweet sorrow . . .

Cindy said...

Oh Katie, you're going to make me cry! I hate saying goodbye to dear friends, and I just don't know how our ward will manage without Cami & Co. At least we all know that they will live forever in infamy--since we told the story of J & the Barbies last year at our family reunion, and have since heard that our family members have told it to their friends! Cami, we'll miss you too!

birdsays said...

Katie,
Girl, I've been crying all day! Thanks for reminding me of so many wonderful memories...we are definitely leaving a part of our hearts here in Durham with you and all our dear friends. I wish I was better with words but am terrible so thank you for yours. They are so sweet and come from a wonderful friend who is always there for me....and we will see you at the beach! We wont be gone for too terribly long before then, right?!?

cat said...

what a sweet tribute and i am LOVING the cat stevens.

LizzyP said...

I just hate saying goodbye, so sometimes I just avoid it. I'm so glad you're brave enough to have tearful but warm send-offs with good friends.