29.1.09

Happy --th Birthday Mama!


My mom turned an age that is divisible by 10 a few weeks ago. I was thinking about her birthday the other day and memories of our times together started flooding my mind. They may be of no interest to anyone but the two of us, but I love to read about other people's moms (so illuminating!), so here you go:

One of my earliest memories: whining (surprise) about being hungry for dinner and you sat on a stool in the kitchen and held me in your lap a said simply, "I know, I know" in that distracted, but eternally patient way of yours. I try to channel that moment all the time, but can only ever manage the distracted part.

Going running for the first time with you: you asked if I wanted to come and I didn't think I could do it. You said let's run to Agnes' house and stop for a rest and a glass of water and then we'll run home. You were so patient with me, even though I know I ruined your run with my side cramp and my slowness. When we could see our house you said, "You take off Katie- don't let me hold you back," even though it was perfectly obvious that I was the one holding you back.

Taking me to camp for the first time and staying at the Three Hills Inn the night before, with it's German pancakes and caged toothless monkey. When we got to camp you stood with me looking out at the mountains across the river and said "They look a little different each day". I told my counselor that the next day, but she didn't get it.

The time after the divorce when you were cleaning out the fridge and found a carton of bad eggs. You said let's go out on the back porch and throw them at the trees. We did and I will never forget that- the two of us, chucking rotten eggs with all our might, and the unspoken understanding between us that life was hard, but we could still have fun.

Using a butter knife to "help" you scrape carpet glue off of the yellow tiles in your bathroom in our house in North Carolina- the house that little Eric calls "the crack house" because it has a crack in the brick facade now. I just know he runs around telling people that his mom grew up in a crack house:).

The pink plastic purse you gave me when I was five and Daddy and I left for Egypt a week before you and Adam did. I think I spent the entire 24-hour flight clutching it and crying because I missed you so much.

The year that we all got skis for Christmas and yours and Adam's were used, but mine were new because you said I'd had a hard year. Incidentally, I'm glad we've finally given up on trying to do all those winter sports and accepted that we are a beach family:).

The morning of my wedding when you pulled up to the front of the temple and turned to me and said "you don't have to do this Katie, we can turn around." I think I can understand now how sad you were and I can definitely laugh at the thought of the two of us- I in my wedding dress and you in your mother-of-the-bride dress- ditching my wedding and escaping to Mexico or somewhere.

You walking in the door of our apartment on Central campus to see baby Eric for the first time, exclaiming "Let me see my little baby!" and then "Let me see my big baby!" and hugging me.

The card you sent me on my twentieth birthday that said you were proud of everything I'd accomplished in twenty years and couldn't wait to see when I'd do in the next twenty and then, "Think big, Katie".

The summer after my freshman year when I was a counselor at camp and you forwarded all my mail to me. One day I got an insufficient funds notice from the bank and you wrote on it: "Oops...better take care of this". The next day another one came with your note "Uh oh...get this straightened out." The next day, another one and the words "Damn it, Katie."

The horrific night you spent in the ER with me after Eric was born. I remember you played tetris on your palm pilot and I found that oddly comforting. How bad could my situation really be when you were over in the corner playing a video game?

Dropping me off at college- you made my bed like you had always done when you took me to camp, then took me to lunch and just sort of left. Everyone else's parents stuck around for the weekend, but that was not your style- you were trying not to hold me back.

The first line of a song that I love says "Growing up it was just me and my mom against the world"- that always makes me think of us. Our escapades are far from over, I know, and now Marley can come along for the ride. Happy birthday Mama! I love you!

5 comments:

Briana said...

The best part about reading this post has to be all the memories that came flooding back from me and MY mom. Thanks for the inspiration. I was thinking that I would do something like this for MY mom's birthday, but that's not until August, so why wait, huh?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Katie, it made me want to call my Mom and tell her how much I love her <3

Laura said...

What great memories about your Mom! She is a wonderful person, especially because she raised such a wonderful daughter! That is hilarious that she said you could turn around on your wedding day!! That must have been such a hard and happy day for her. I also loved about your revelation with the kids rooms. You amazed me when you called me one day and had so many questions and concerns and didn't have all the answers and then two days later you called me and suddenly everything fit together and you were peaceful. God is truly amazing and the spirit that he has sent to guide us. You have taught me so much more about that then I could have ever thought to teach you--Thank you!!!

Laura said...

Hey, it me again, I read your comment on my blog and your trip sounds so fun! and yes its pretty far, I think at least 6 hours? I don't know I will have to mapquest it but Isn't it south of LA? Anyway, have tons of fun and good luck traveling with your little guy!

Mindy said...

Katie, loved your post on your Mom. First I was the kid, then the mom, then MIL (yikes), now grandma....it sure changes my perspective each time I have "advanced" in my life...haha....and, how different it all looks...thanks for sharing! Does that make any sense???