11.5.08

Back from the Beach, and Happy Mother's Day

In Thomas Friedman's column in the New York Times today, he talked about his mother, who died this past year, and how he wished he could send her flowers and call to wish her happy Mother's Day today. This, of course, made me cry, and think of how lucky I am that I can call my own mom today. But something else struck me even harder. He said he was thinking of all the things his mother could have accomplished had she had the chance to finish school and do all the things she always encouraged him to do. To quote, "It's easy to forget. Your mom had dreams too." I thought about the dreams I had before (and after) I had children. I wanted to be a lawyer, a teacher, a scientist. To get a PhD and write a book. Above all, to have a paid housekeeper! Then I thought about how all of my dreams combined could never have matched the incredible, unfathomable dream of my boys. Those other dreams are good, worthy, important, and I'm grateful for other women who work at them and make the voice of mothers known in the public sphere. But in my heart I know that no degree, no earthly pursuit could possibly be more worthwhile or rewarding than motherhood. I hate when people say that motherhood is the toughest job in the world. I know they mean well, but I just don't believe that, and I don't think they do either. Working in a coal mine all day, breathing in poisonous dust, or in an emergency room, watching people die is obviously harder than going to the park and making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. But, in my opinion, although it's not the hardest, it is the most important job in the world, and I'm grateful to be able to call it mine.

On that note, here are some pictures from our recent trip to Emerald Isle, N.C. See how tough a job motherhood is?:)

Little Eric practicing his swimming


The breakdown of the no-kids-in-the-hot-tub rule. Words cannot convey the disgustingness of that water.....







Moms slaving away, as always!





This is the blowfish that Briggie found in the surf one day. We left him out on the porch for a few days and he puffed up- the boys thought that was pretty cool!


2 comments:

team howey said...

Yeah, I don't know if I agree with you...surprised? There are certainly jobs that require more manual labor or more dangerous conditions, but they don't go on and on, hour after hour, living inside your head and heart even if you think you have reprieve. Being a mother (whether full-time or part-time) is the toughtest job in the world. It's like that quote "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~Elizabeth Stone

Andrea said...

Katie:
It was great to read your thoughts on motherhood. It took me back to several discussion groups in Seattle (smile).
In regards to your post on my blog--I FOR SURE DO NOT HAVE IT ALL TOGETHER!! For the times I gave you that impression I am incredibly sorry. I wasn't trying to "look in control"--maybe I was so out of control that I looked like I was having a good time!?!
Miss you!