28.1.08

Some time to think about it



There are a hundred things I should be doing right now, like taking a shower and cleaning the kitchen up, but I had to get on and post some thoughts about President Hinckley.

We are, of course, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or Mormons. Gordon B. Hinckley was our prophet, and he died last night at the age of 97. In the car on the way to preschool this morning, I turned around in my seat and told the boys that something sad had happened- that the prophet had died. Eric corrected me, saying, "It's not really sad though, because he's with Heavenly Father now, and his wife (who died several years ago)." But as I turned back around in my seat, I couldn't hold back the tears. I was thinking of a time when Eric and I were first married and he smiled and said to me, "I love the fact that President Hinckley is the only prophet you've ever known." In a few days that will no longer be true, and it feels like a huge milestone. I joined the Church a week after my eighteenth birthday- almost ten years ago now. The changes that have come over those years are overwhelming. When I first encountered the missionaries at sixteen, I was confused about life. I had wonderful parents who loved me, but didn't love each other, and hadn't for as long as I could remember. I knew I had a great mind and the support of my family to be whatever I wanted in life, but my hopes for a strong marriage and a close family were not high. I can remember the missionaries telling me that God knew my heart and my deepest desires. I thought about what those might be, and concluded that the thing I wanted most in the world was a wonderful husband who would be my best friend. I never dreamed that He would drop one in my lap when I was only nineteen. And not too long after that our two precious boys arrived, almost before I knew how much I wanted them. I still know that I can be anything I want to be in this life, but the thing I choose to be is a wife and a mother. It turns out that having a loving, eternal family is very, very hard work, but it is possible. It's the toughest challenge I've ever taken on, but with the help of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the example and teachings of President Hinckley, I truly feel like each day I learn and grow and get a little closer to the incredible woman that God knows I have the potential to be.

I know, of course, that President Hinckley, at 97, was ready to go, and that he's in a wonderful place. But I can't help but be sad when I think that his life on this earth has ended. It feels like the bookend to an important part of my own life.

www.lds.org

6 comments:

Cailean said...

Wow Katie, we are really similar in that we joined the Church and sort of grew up into our own testimonies with President Hinckley as the Prophet. He'll always hold a special place in my life for that reason. Life is so much better than it would have been had I not joined the Church.

Lindsay said...

Aren't we lucky to know that even though President Hinckley has passed, the church will still go forth - even stronger than before.

I'm so glad you chose to be a wife and a mother, too. We love you and Eric and your boys...life would definitely not be as wonderful for me had you chosen a different life. :)

The Kimber Crew said...

President Hinckley is the only prophet I've really known also since my family was inactive for most of my childhood. He'll always be the prophet of my childhood. I'll miss him too, but you know he is as happy as a clam right now.

team howey said...

I love you Katie.

cherlyn and family said...

Thanks for sharing that with us. I truly enjoyed the funeral service of President Hinckley today.

Jordon said...

Was just reading through a few of your blog entries and was thinking: Eric and Katie were/are really cool. ;) I wished we had taken the time, been in more similar life situations, etc. to have gotten to know you both a little bit better in Seattle. It's nice to be able to do so through cyber-stalking. hehe Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Continued good luck with your fun family. ~Jordon