5.1.08

It's burning a hole in my pocket

As I was brushing my teeth just now, my mind was spinning, thinking about....well...spending money. Deep, I know, but for Christmas this year my wonderful mom gave me a check- which I know she felt bad about, because she loves to buy presents and, I think, really wanted to find the perfect gift for me. But time was short and I wasn't very helpful with suggestions, so she got out her checkbook. And can I just say what a fun, fun thing it is to have money that I'm actually SUPPOSED to spend on me? Not that I have a problem buying things I need- if there's one thing I don't have, it's a martyr complex. There's just something different about having money to spend that someone you love WANTS you to spend on YOU. Almost out of nowhere, one of my last memories of my granddad popped into my head. It was just before Christmas and he called me into his room to tell me that for Christmas he wanted to give me some money, and that I could spend it on anything I wanted- something for the house or a pretty dress, anything. Something about that moment, I think it was the thought of a pretty dress- do those even exist anymore?- broke my heart. Bills came up and I never got to spend the money, but one of these days I'm going to buy a pretty dress, and every time I wear it, I'll think of my grandfather.

3 comments:

cherlyn and family said...

Very nice story and I hope that you are doing well. Please comment on my blog I would love to hear from you. Have a great weekend.

Cailean said...

That's really sweet and that's what giving is all about - remembering who gave us the opportunity to think about ourselves. I also receive money often from either my Mom or Nathan or both because that's actually what I ask for. There's something about having money to use solely on myself that gives a sense of freedom. No guilt involved. I tend to use it a few dollars at a time and it lasts a long time!

Kate Alexis said...

So good to find you. Happy New Year, Katie! It is wonderful when you receive money all for yourself. It's so good to read about your life and see your boys, who are darling and seem to be wonderful characters. Miss you.

- Kate

kaclausen83@gmail.com