16.1.08

Mustang the i-pod slayer

My lonely reign as the queen of destroying expensive electronics came to and end two weeks ago. We arrived home from church and as I was taking my shoes off in the bedroom, I heard a VERY loud crack, which I later discovered was the sound of Eric's hand connecting with Mustang's rear end. This was followed by a pitiful display of submission by the dog, which, of COURSE involved him peeing on the floor. Turns out he'd chewed Eric's i-pod while we were gone. I may drop things, submerge them in water, absentmindedly yank them from their power sources and drive off with them on the roof of the car, but I've never, EVER left fang marks in them.

I'm SO frustrated that our computer is broken right now (my fault, of course), because I have adorable pictures to post of little Eric at pre-cotillion and Brigham and me on a date. You'll have to stay tuned....

For now though.... I've just finished a great, thought-provoking book that I highly recommend. It's called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a little sanctimonious and over-the-top at times, but it really makes you think about where your food comes from, and what it's cost the environment to get it to you. It's basically a challenge to try to eat locally as much as possible. So last week at the store I searched the entire produce section for something from North Carolina, and finally found one thing: Rutabegas! I've never had one before- funny how California oranges and Washington apples are so ubiquitous that a rutabega from your own back yard seems exotic. The plan is to cook it tomorrow night....I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and best of all, it contained this excellent quote from Mark Twain:

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."

Amen.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'll stay tuned for the update on when you finally destroy something with your teeth!

s g said...

I am sorry for the technological break-down...not as fun..lewis ripped the spacebar off our laptop a few years back..buggin...

about the glasses...buy them at WAL-MART..they have a 1 year warranty on all kids glasses and as long as it is just the frames and not the lenses that are busted, they replace them for free...we are on our 7th pair and it hasn't quite been a year yet...we have a few more months to cash in on the warranty...;) good luck, he will be a cutie!!
sara g.

Tamra said...

I told Ben that small Eric is 6 now. He thinks maybe you counted wrong and there is no way. Briggie has changed the most. Ben is working in N. Carolina for at least the next 3 months. I'm hoping to bring my little friends and come see you...They are afraid of dogs though...