7.10.07

Tagged, and the return of cadet Habib

I've been tagged...

Jobs I've had:
1. Front desk person at a health club
2. Lifeguard
3. Waitress
4. Camp counselor
5. Mom

Places I've lived:
1. Durham, NC
2. North Potomac, MD
3. Seattle, WA (sniff, sniff)

Favorite Places I've traveled:
1. Egypt
2. France
3. Switzerland
4. Italy
5. Costa Rica
6. Venezuela

Places I want to visit:
1. Brazil
2. England
3. Italy and France again...can never have too much Gothic architecture or Renaissance painting.

Movies I could watch over and over again:
1. The one true movie...Pride and Prejudice:)
2. The Painted Veil
3. Dirty Dancing (can quote almost the entire movie)
4. Shag

Books I could read over and over again:
1. The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
3. Twilight, Stephenie Meyer
4. Fair and Tender Ladies (Lee Smith)

Favorite shows:
1. This American Life (radio...we don't have a TV right now)
2. The Office (my friends got me hooked)
3. My So-Called Life (my old favorite from high school)

Favorite websites:
1. itunes.com
3. washingtonpost.com
4. adamhabib.com (my brother's website...check it out...it's so cool!)
5. totalimmersion.net
6. www.usatf.org/routes (America's running routes)
7. goodreads.com

Places I'd rather be right now:
1. running on the Burke-Gilman trail
2. swimming in the Cowpasture river
3. getting a massage
4. picking blackberries in Magnusen park

Favorite Foods:
1. Henry Weinhard's rootbeer
2. cream (in any form...I'd even drink it straight!)
3. Indian food
4. Cosmic Cantina burritos
5. pretzels dipped in marshmallow cream

People I tag:
1. Eryn
2. Mercedes
3. Andrea


Also....
I have learned how to work the scanner! Which means I can post these two pictures:




The other day Eric and Brigham were playing with the boy next door. This kid thinks he's pretty cool. So when he came to the door and said that the boys had told him I used to be in the Army, implying that he didn't believe them, Eric dug these pictures out of the attic. Shhhh...don't tell him it was actually just R.O.T.C! Exhibit A is a picture of me and my M-16. It was the laughing stock of the end-of-year R.O.T.C. slide show, because, as you can see, it looks for all the world like I have a big hunk of chewing tobacco in my mouth. I have no explanation for that other than to say that I've never chewed tobacco! The second picture is of my friend Erin and me the very first time we ever put on our BDU's. I can still remember the two of us giggling at ourselves hysterically along with my roomate Kelly, who took the picture. R.O.T.C. was one of those things for me where you're doing something that is SO not even close to your norm, that you end up having the time of your life. I learned how to take apart, reassemble and fire an M-16, how to properly throw a grenade, how to construct a tent out of a poncho and 550 chord, how to get across a river using a rope and two trees, how to polish boots, and I even got to ride in a Blackhawk. Had I not met Eric my sophomore year, I think I might actually have gone on to make a pretty decent officer. I gained SO much respect for those who serve in the military. And hey- I've got two sons...maybe one day my grenade launching skills will come in handy:).

6 comments:

s g said...

love the camo photos...you need to pull out that garb for halloween...I miss the burke gilman too..sniffle sniffle

team howey said...

HOLY COW! I mean, I always knew you were in the ROTC but seeing you with an m16 is an entirely different thing. The thing I love the very most about you is that we will be friends for the next 50 years and you will still surprise me. I've never known anyone like you, and I think you are pretty AMAZING!

Robyn said...

You are one pretty amazing person Katie. I have always looked up to you. Reading the list about you makes me realize we are a lot alike, and also that I'd like to be a lot more like you! Maybe you ought to move to Phoenix. At least you be a little closer to Seattle, right?

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness, I would never have guessed ... you really are a renaissance woman! "Oh yes, I can whip up a fabulous meal in hardly any time at all, and I can dismantle and reassemble and M16." Is there anything you *can't* do? Wow! :)

Cailean said...

I agree with everyone else - there is no one else like you and you are so missed here in Seattle! You inspired so many of us to better ourselves and I loved reading this list and seeing how diverse you are. You really enjoy everything you do and seem to have no fear. Your boys are so blessed to have a mommy like you!

cat said...

what can i say? i agree with what everyone else said about you. you are truly your own person, and that is a beautiful thing.