30.9.07

Strange things going on in the shower...

I think I'm losing my mind. I have forgotten, lost and just plain messed up so many things in the last three weeks I'm afraid to get out of bed in the morning. It started when I put my cell phone on top of the car and it fell off while Eric was driving to school the next morning. I found the mangled battery half way down our street a few days later. Kind of a problem when you don't have a land line (so if you need to call me, call Eric's phone- 919 638 6216 for now). Then I lost my sunglasses and the garage door opener. Then yesterday I paid a bill from the wrong bank account and racked up hundreds of dollars in NSF fees. This morning I was supposed to pick up a handicapped lady in our ward for church and completely forgot. For the second time. To top it all off, the boys stood up during "good news" time at primary today, and proudly proclaimed what was first interpreted as "We peed on our Mom in the shower," but was then clarified, "We beat our Mom in the shower." Either way, you can imagine the reaction in a room full of three- to eight-year olds. Apparently, no one really knew what they were talking about or what to say, so the teacher just nodded and said, "how nice" and sent them back to their seats. You see, last night, in an attempt to get them into bed quickly, I told them I'd race them... if they could finish showering before me, they would win a prize. They won, and they were so proud, they wanted to share it during primary. I guess when we start getting turned down for play dates with kids in our ward, I'll know why:).

On a good note, I can now swim half a mile in the pool without stopping, which is a huge accomplishment, since I started out a few weeks ago being able to do one length. My training buddies, Lindsay and Cami are too nice to laugh at me in my bathing cap, ear plugs and nose clip (I look like ridiculousness personified-I hate water up my nose!). But I just have to vent about something...I hope they'll forgive me. Actually, I've noticed this about most of my LDS friends...they wear SHORTS over their bathing suits! Why? Why do Mormon women wear shorts in the pool!? I asked my friends and they both said they didn't like their thighs. I can certainly relate to that. My thighs and I have had a tumultuous relationship, but after much angst, we've made our peace. I just don't care anymore that my body doesn't fit the shape that society, the beauty industry and my own insecurities want it to fit. My thighs have done a lot for me over the course of my life. And when I look back on the women and girls I've admired the most, you know what? A lot of them had big thighs. So, Mormon women of the world, this challenge goes out to you: throw out your swimming shorts. Let your thighs see the light of day. Give them the respect and love they deserve.

In other news, this weekend Eric camped out with some friends for Duke bball tickets. With an RV, tons of free food, a big screen TV and a personal visit from Coach K, they didn't exactly rough it. As undergrads we had to camp in tents for weeks just to get into one game. We were merciless in our ridicule of the grad students, who "camped" for two days for season tickets, but I have to say, I liked this way much better. The wives and kids came for a BBQ on Saturday night, which was lots of fun.



If you're wondering what that white thing that Eric's holding is, it's a "machine gun" that he and the boys constructed from PVC pipe...someone please rescue me from boy-land:).

Here are some pictures from my birthday...




And some more from a Durham Bulls game we went to...

9 comments:

team howey said...

WOW and Crazy! So glad that you just blogged all of that, I feel like we just caught up over the phone. And AMEN to the swim shorts thing. Has ALWAYS driven me crazy. It's your body, own it and love - it's the only one you'll get. And I love your haircut, so cute. Congrats on the half mile swimming, and big bummer about the phone. It's been too long!

Belkycita said...

Katie, How fun to hear from you. I look and look at the picture of Brigham and can't recognize him at all. I guess he was really little when you left and he's such a big boy now. I don't care how much he grows I will always remember he's sweet smile. Is sounds like you guys know how to have fun, I can't imagine my life filled with boys, they are too mischievous... I feel it for Dave though, another girl is really going to make his life a little bit too "CUTE" Elena's new favorite word.

cherlyn and family said...

How crazy is that. Also what a story.

Andrea said...

Katie--you must know I feel your pain. Really. As far as the shorts thing . . . in college we had a rule that we wouldn't dance with a guy who could wear our pants or marry a guy we could carry. I have managed to get a guy who can fit into my pants and I can carry him. I too will be proud of my thighs, but ohh how I hate sitting next to him on a boat! He has great GIRL legs!

Happy Birthday too--what day was it?

Cailean said...

I love your haircut! And your boys are cute as always. You actually have have the same birthday as my youngest Elijah. It's obvious you have made some great friends over there - I'm not surprised! We still miss you guys over here in Seattle :)

birdsays said...

So....apparently I was not so perceptive that night and didn't realize you were so bothered by the whole shorts thing (preoccupied with hoping I can swim without drowning or something:) ) or I would have explained a little more. It's a fine line for me...wear suit with shorts for insecurity or modesty reasons. I have one of those bodies that to find a suit that fits both my top and bottom is impossible....even the tankinies! So...shorts problem solved....find one that is modest on top and the bottom that's too tight or cut way too high, all taken care of. Ya, sure I could probably find one if I really looked hard and was willing to pay an arm and a leg, but since I hate shopping and will not pay much for a suit..... So, I agree, own my body and love it, but also respect it.

Anonymous said...

Katie, I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, it's always bothered me that men wear swim shorts instead of speedos. I think all men should wear speedos. Own and love their bodies. That's certainly what I do.

Okay, so I'm kidding. I wonder if it's a West Coast thing to wear shorts over the swim suit? A lot of women who do that in San Diego. A good pair of board shorts over a suit.

Sean and Laura said...

I am not sure you guys will see this comment, because it has been a while, but I just have to say - Eric, you softy. Even in my Duke grad student days we camped out in tents - one year during a tropical storm no less. I hope it was fun, though. The pictures bring back great Duke memories.

Katie said...

Laura - I agree...we were living it up in the RV. What else could I do with a team full of business and law students?