20.10.07

Tri, tri again....

"Live to swim tomorrow." That's what the race director said as she canceled the swim part of our triathlon last weekend. Pretty disappointing. But, to be honest, those waves were SCARY. We had all gone out on Friday to test out our wetsuits and practice getting through the surf, and the general consensus was, "Are you kidding me?!" What we were doing was not really called swimming, it was called trying not to die. Not worth the risk. And we did still get to do the run and bike. Eric won his age-group, and tied with our friend Paul for fifth place overall in the run. I ran and biked hard and showed the 'pedals of death' who's boss. All of our friends racing with us had a great race, even though it wasn't the race we had all trained for. And I was SO looking forward to posting pictures of me in a wetsuit:). Something tells me I'll get another shot though....as Eric and I were getting our transition spots all laid out in the pre-dawn darkness, I had one of those moments where you stop and look around and say, "Yes. This is me." It's the feeling I get when I listen to James Taylor, or eat blackberry pie, or cross over the marsh on the way to my Mom's. If at first you don't succeed...

After the race with the winner of the male 25-29 age group...

How much fun was it to walk around with my number and age written on me for three days? A LOT!

The kids wanted numbers on their arms too :)...

Big waves on race morning...

And, cruelly, this is what the ocean looked like the next day...

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Love the picture of the numbers on your leg! I should have gotten one of those. :) I agree - it was pretty cool to be 'branded' for a little while...

s g said...

hey...congrats to you both..that is awesome! I am really glad the swim was cancelled..those waves would have lifted your tiny body to who knows where..

Abbey said...

Way to go guys! You two are inspirational. That's too bad about the swimming cancelation, though. My sister did a tri last month in Maryland and her swimming was also cancelled. I guess that's life...great job!

cat said...

yeah! i am so proud of you. sorry about the swimming part though. love that beach pic.

Jordon said...

Very impressive to BOTH of you. If you ask me...you're lucky you didn't have to swim. I would probably do tri-athalons if it wasn't TRI. Glad to see your family is doing well. ~Jordon