17.9.07

Fish Jesus and the baby Weevils...

The other day the boys were sitting at the counter eating their lunch, while I rustled around in the kitchen. Eric told me that his class fish had died, and he seemed pretty sad about it. I tried to cheer him up by telling him that the fish is in fish-heaven now. Brigham thought about this for a moment and said, "Is there a fish-Jesus there?" The mental picture of a little fish with sandals and a beard had me in fits for a good 10 minutes. The teachers bought two new fish for the class, and Eric thought up the name "Milkshake" for one, because it had a white tummy. He was really proud that the class chose his name when they voted. They're studying whales, and one of their projects was to make a fluke (which, if you didn't know, is a whale tale) out of paper and decorate it by squeezing paint on it and then folding it in half. Eric decided to name his "Creamy", because that's what the paint reminded him of. He thinks up the cutest names:).

Another funny story- I was driving the boys home from school and a song we didn't know came on the radio. I turned it way up when I saw Eric nodding his head in the back seat (because, I am a blaster of the radio), but when I heard the second bleeped out word, I had to change the station. Eric said he liked that song and asked why I changed it, so I told him that it had some bad words in it. He said, "Oh, which ones?" I said, "Words I don't want to say out loud so I'm not going to tell you." Eric accepted this, but after about 30 seconds Brigham said, "Oh come ON.....just tell us one!"

One last story...yesterday after church, the boys were in their room having quiet time, and Eric and I were in the kitchen just hanging out. I opened up a can of Irish oats and started making some to keep in the fridge for breakfasts this week. Eric started eating handfuls, leaving the opened can on the counter. I heard him say, through a mouthful of oats, "OH Katie", in a way that made me think he was about to throw up. I walked over and saw what he was looking at: a little larva-type thing was dangling from the inside edge of the can. We searched the rest of the oats and found 4 or 5 of them....yuck! Eric did some research online and thinks they're weevil larvae. He wants me to drive to the store where I bought them (which is 45 minutes away) and demand that they refund my money, plus some, or else I call the health inspector. I love his ability to be righteously indignant over oatmeal:).

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Fish-Jesus! Wow - I'm going to have fun dreams tonight! Thanks for the laugh!

Hillary said...

Hi Katie and Fam!
So happy to find your blog (through the Ketchesons link)! I miss you and your family tons! They are getting so big. And that pic of Brig with the crayons is to die for! Check out our blog for updates too! I am almost ready to have my 2nd boy, and think of you every time the thought gets overwhelming. You make being a mom of 2 boys look so fun!

Love,
Hillary

Lindsay said...

Okay, I know I already left a comment here, but I was just thinking about Fish-Jesus again.

I think this is what I love most about reading your blog: I may talk to you almost every day, but even so, I might have never heard these stories. And your stories are all SO worth hearing!

laura allen said...

The Oats probably aren't worth the gas to get to the store but if there is a number on the can you can call...they will deffinately send you a coupon for a new can but often they send you alot more just to make you happy and keep your business! We once found a nail in ....I think they were canned fruit....we got a whole box of dell fruit from it as well as some cupons!

oh and what were the bad words...just wondering...I won't tell briggy!

team howey said...

Remember Eric and his Gap pants? If only the whole world had such a sense of right and wrong...

And who took the picture of you and Eric kissing, anyway?

team howey said...

You're right, I no longer have any more excuses not to come to Durham. And I just happen to have a frequent flyer ticket burning a hole in my pocket...when should I come?

And will you make me another CD for Christmas (only send it earlier - like now? :))

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the weevil infested almonds that you ate 5 days earlier!