19.9.11

Today


It was a day without a Dad, like a lot of these home-stretch-of-the-PhD days. Afternoon loomed, evening lurked, bedtime menaced. I had extra kids in the mix because my dear neighbor is sick. So I called Mary- she and I bonded over mastitis at church one Sunday- and we went to the park.


We laid the babies on blankets in the grass and talked and talked while our kids ran wild. Our conversation covered the state of Oklahoma, a documentary about sheep, and sloppy joe's. When Marley started rummaging around in my bag looking for crackers, I pulled out my Jimmy John's menu. Fifteen minutes later a sweaty man on a bicycle handed me a box filled with sandwiches and bags of chips.


The kids devoured their sandwiches and begged for sips from my water bottle. I made them go to the drinking fountain. It was too nice a day for floaties in my water. When they asked, do we have to go home soon? I answered, No. We're staying here until bedtime. And they all cheered.


At seven we picked up the blankets, babies and bottles, and herded our dirty, exhausted children to the parking lot. Anticipating a rocky bedtime, I stopped at Wendy's for five orders of compliance in a paper cup. Otherwise known as frosties. By 8:30 I had a silent house.

Lots of days I feel like a mess of a mother. Today? Nailed it.

14 comments:

Cindy said...

So awesome, and sounds like it was good for you too! I love it when it works like that!

Mindy said...

You did!! Smart girl and awesome mom!

smith said...

Keep up the good work! If you figure out which races to run let me know

Search Engine Optimization

E B said...

Love it! I totally use playdates on single mom nights too.

Lindsay said...

I must miss you a lot because the only thing I can think of is, "I wish I could have been there..." Sounds like a perfect night!

DNCBulldawg said...

you sound like Supermom to me! :-)

voip services said...

Keep up the good work!

Laura said...

definitely nailed it...i need to do that more often! And I wish I had a purple bumbo too!!! I wish it would work on older kids...

Madurai Mudra Travels said...

This is very useful post for me and it helps me a lot. Thank you so much for this and have a great time....


Web Design Company

Unknown said...

The post is very informative. It is a pleasure reading it.

Unknown said...

Your Article given my childhood memories, Thanks!!!
Ecommerce Development Bangalore | Magento Development Bangalore

Unknown said...

This is very useful post for me and it helps me a lot. Thank you so much for this and have a great time....
Web Designing Company Bangalore | Web Development Company Bangalore

IHosting Reviews said...

Really it will nail it. Those are the Best days which we played Out during our Holidays and enjoying the Sunlight. But in these days all r sitting in front of TV or Mobile or Laptop.

Top 10 Best
Web Hosting Companies
|
Best Web Hosting In India

Mindbusy http://www.mindbusy.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.