3.11.10

Scenes from a new beach

As summer wound down we decided to go exploring on the gulf coast. It was our first true family vacation, all by ourselves, and our first time on the gulf.


Day one brought back memories of my childhood summers on the Outer Banks, with biting black flies out in force. The three boys were a bit disappointed to see that St. George Island, Fla. looked pretty similar to the Carolina coast. I had promised "sugar white sand and clear emerald water" and I think their imaginations got the best of them. You COULD see to the bottom of the ocean.

On day two the black flies decided to get their kicks on some other beach and we relaxed and enjoyed the sun and sand. Eric swam out to meet the dolphins passing by but never got close enough to really swim with them. I was watching from the shore, trying to direct him when I saw a huge SHARK swim past. Of course that didn't phase him at all.


The night before we went home we drove across the seven-mile bridge to Appalachicola, a beautiful victorian fishing town on the coast. We had an amazing seafood dinner in a gazebo on the water.


Sunday morning we woke up early and headed back to Appalachicola for church. There were five cars in the parking lot and about twelve people inside. Of course I had remembered to pack everyone's church clothes but my own, so I stuck out like a sore thumb. The service was beautiful and we even stumbled upon some old friends from our UW days who were in the area on a camping trip. Small world!

Back in the car, we listened to Peter and the Starcatchers all the way home, and Marley even held it together until we hit the city. Amazing what a few days at the beach will do...

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

:) Looks like you had fun . . . except for the sharks bit. ;)

Lindsay said...

Leave it to Eric to swim with sharks and be fine with it...leave it to me to even imagine swimming with sharks and have a panic attack...

s g said...

beach trips area always fun...looks very relaxing. I like eric's aviators :)

Englebright said...

Katie, guess what? I was running past your house the other day and was missing you. And then I saw a dark haired girl running with a big dog far away and I could have SWORN it was you. I was very disappointed when I realized it wasn't. And almost as disappointed when the girl lapped me. :)

Miss you.

DNCBulldawg said...

This sounds like a great trip, except for Eric's swimming with the shark! (Didn't he read about the young surfer in California who met his demise in the unexpected, sudden bite of a great white one?)

On a happier note, I always learn something when I read your blog:

"Peter and the Starcatchers" is coauthored by Dave Barry, a humor columnist for many years with "The Miami Herald"--a favorite (after Georgia's own LewisGrizzard.com).

Cindy said...

You saw a shark? And he didn't mind? I always knew Eric was...unique...and that settles it!

So was the water cold already? Wasn't it beautiful!

BTW--we keep trying to persuade our kids that we should take some kind of vacation on our own, and they totally freak out!