8.11.10

Date Night

The other night I realized that in the three months we'd lived in Atlanta, we had been out on exactly one date. So Friday night we shooed the kids over to the neighbors' house and took off into the city.

The plan was practical- I had some things to return at Ikea, so we would head there first, eat in their cafeteria (disgusting, in a yummy kind of way) and then hit the Apple Store for some advice from the genius bar on why the nano I got for my birthday won't turn off...

On our way we had to drive through midtown, where Eric works. The tall buildings glittered in the dark and my mind wandered to what it would be like if we had just met. If this was our first date and he was impressing me by pointing out the different buildings and landmarks in the city. I was pretty sure we wouldn't be headed to Ikea for 3.99 Swedish meatballs.

So when we passed a swanky Thai restaurant and Eric mentioned that someone at work had told him it was the best Thai in the city, I proposed we ditch our plans and eat there instead. We made the detour, stopping first at a bakery down the street from the bank to pick out a dessert for later.

Dinner was lovely. After finishing every last crumb on our plates we walked back to the parking garage and opened the tailgate on the Volvo. We sat and talked while we ate our desserts- a chocolate tart for Eric and a bacon cupcake for me. Back at the bakery I had taken one look and snatched it up. I can think of two reasons why a woman would do such a thing: She's either a relentless adventurer, or she's pregnant.

I've never been very adventurous.

19 comments:

Mindy said...

Congrats! :)

Dates are good....keep it up!!

Hope the cupcake hit the spot-

Robyn said...

SERIOUSLY!?! Awesome announcement. When I first saw the picture I thought, "Is that bacon on a cupcake?" Who'd have thought of that? Anyway, congrats to you guys? What a lucky baby.

Elise said...

Congratulations to one of my favorite ladies and to your wonderful family! What a great place for a new little one to land.

Abbey said...

Such fantastic news! I miss you, Katie and Eric too. Jacob and I regularly reminisce about great times with you two. Congratulations!!!

Briana said...

I love the cleverness of your announcement! Congrats to you two!

Englebright said...

ah, boo. I'm getting emotional and I'm NOT pregnant. Congrats!! That is so exciting!

Andrea said...

AWESOME!

I knew the bacon cupcake must mean something.

So happy for you.

Kathleen said...

LOVE the announcement sneakiness ;) You guys look great!

Laura Oler said...

Congratulations!! That's awesome! You must not be feeling too bad yet, if you can eat Thai food and a bacon cupcake. I love Thai food, but I can't eat anything liket that when I'm pregnant. I don't think I could eat a bacon cupcake either way. When are you due? Exciting! The date sounds fun too. Rachel asked about you the other day -- she was going to Raleigh and wondered if you were still there. I wondered why we never made it there while you were there. Maybe we'll make it to Atlanta.

s g said...

katie, you are killing me!!! bacon is all the rage in Portland as well for dessert. Maple bacon ice cream, bacon cupcakes...etc.

CONGRATS, so happy for you guys!!

Lindsay said...

Oh, barf.

That's kind of all I can think of to say...

:)

Kelly said...

Yay! Congratulations Katie! I am so excited for you guys. When are you due?

-Kelly Rogers

Cailean said...

WOWWEE YIPPEE congratulations!!! Four kids is a trip and a half and you'll love it. I'm so happy for you guys. Your baby is lucky to get bacon. Jim Gaffigan would agree.

E B said...

Awesome announcement! I couldn't figure out WHAT that bacon was on top of. Either way, it looks disgusting to this pregnant lady!

Rebecca said...

You are a charming writer. I love reading your posts! Congratulations on #4!

Liz said...

This pregnant lady, while very happy for you, almost couldn't even look at the picture. I hope you find lots of disgusting food that makes you very happy over the next several months! Congratulations.
P.S. That means that you, Eva, me and Mary are all pregnant at the same time. We really have to find a way to take a picture of us all together! Let's meet in DC for a weekend! Post more details!

Cindy said...

You already know how excited I am for you--I'm such a fan of having a 4th child! ;) But bacon on a cupcake??? I don't know if anything could make me so bold!!

LizzyP said...

Yay, Katie. Things were getting too easy with three, huh?

I'm thrilled for you.

By the way, have you ever heard of Margin by Richard Swenson? It's about how we need to give ourselves more reserves to feel joy. Your comments about bedtime made me think that we've been making similar efforts in our home, and I've enjoyed this book immensely.

team howey said...

That is so laugh out loud funny. All I could think is 'bacon cupcakes???" Definately the tastebuds of a pregnant lady. :)