23.6.10

Leaving on the midnight train

When I woke up this morning I was missing a child. Eric had taken little Eric with him to school, where they watched the U.S. World Cup game instead of Eric teaching his class. It's hot. Too hot to teach, too hot to run, too hot to do house work, too hot to pack up your life.

We took a little trip to Atlanta this weekend. We visited the Atlanta Federal Reserve, who wants the rights to my husband for the next two years. I'm reluctantly -VERY reluctantly- handing him over, in exchange for a decent salary, health benefits and a shot at teaching position at a good school when he's done. Which he promises will be in two years, three at most. But I've heard promises like that before.

While Eric was being fingerprinted at the Fed to make sure he's not a crazy Arab terrorist (I tried to tell them I'm the crazy Arab in the family but they didn't listen), the kids and I watched through a glass wall while little robots with names like Abe and Felix wheeled huge amounts of cash up and down a dreary hallway. We learned that the Atlanta Fed shreds ten million dollars worth of unfit currency every day. I sometimes feel like that's what they're doing to my life, but I didn't tell them that.

We drove around Atlanta looking at house after house, trying to find one that I could actually see myself living in for the next two years. After two days, our best option had a rent double our mortgage here and, brace yourselves:

The front door opened into a closet.

Really, really.

Eric is still wishing we had snapped it up, but I had to draw the line somewhere. I will give up my home, my friends, my everything here in North Carolina but I WILL NOT ENTER MY HOUSE THROUGH A CLOSET. No, no, no!

Needless to say, I've done a lot of crying over the past few days. I'm a roots girl. I hate travel, I hate moving, I hate the end of the school year, all of it.

Someday I'll sink my roots down deep and never have to dig them up. That's what I keep telling myself, at least.

12 comments:

Cindy said...

:( I'm a "other people should have roots" girl!

Englebright said...

Yay for declining the closet house! No one wants to dry heave every time they enter their home.

Kerri McMahon said...

Awww hugs. I hope you can find something you can live with and afford too.

Robyn said...

Are you naturally an amazing writer or do you have to try?

Atlanta, huh? Good luck!

I've been watching the NC weather and will take my 108 over your 97 any day. Darn humidity. :)

cindy baldwin said...

So sad! Where in Georgia are you moving? Mahon just got contacted by someone in Augusta ;)

s g said...

best of luck in Atlanta...moving is such a pain, and I hate leaving friends, etc...so glad you put your foot down on the closet door house.

its only 2 years, right, maybe 3?? you can do it :)

Kathleen said...

I feel your pain Katie! I saw your tag line and thought, "I know what this is probably about, and I don't know if I'm ready to read it" I don't know if you've realized it, but you will be missed in our corner of your world, and always welcome at our front door, where-ever that may be! I hope the house hunting looks up soon!

elizabeth said...

Oh i feel your pain in leaving north Carolina. Good luck, it will work out great. Your boys will love the Atlanta aquarium!

Lindsay said...

I think I've figured out why Eric wanted the house with the closetfrontdoor: He really, truly, wishes that he could live in Narnia, and thought this might be the next best thing.

Laura said...

My aunt and uncle loved atlanta...hopefully it will grow on you...still southern living. maybe do some shallow roots at first, but beware...you might like it so much you will stay :0)! Good luck! When do you move?

Linda said...

Congrats on Eric getting the job! I'm hoping some house turns up that's just the right thing for you. Good luck!

LizzyP said...

Seriously, Atlanta needs you and your wit, Katie. I love your writing. His time in academics will come, I'm sure. Here's to your adventure on that midnight train . . .