18.5.10

Re-entry

That's my friend Cindy's word for coming home after a wonderful vacation and having reality come crashing down on you. Laundry, phone calls, emails, errands, lessons, school, work.... Miss Marley keeps the mood light though- by squirting me with some of Eric's cologne this morning, so that I smelled like him all day long. And Eric entertains me by eating crickets. And the boys, well, all they seem to do these days is fight. My neighbors told me they bought a van when their two boys were this age so they could each have their own bench. I asked them when it got better and they said when the older one got his driver's license. Which didn't make me feel any better.

We had a wonderful week at the beach with wonderful friends, some of whom we hadn't seen in a year. We woke up each morning to sunlight reflecting off the ocean through our balcony window, and fell asleep to the laughter of the West coast contingent, still not adjusted to North Carolina time. Mothers' Day left me with a profound realization about my firstborn. The kids had endless hours of fun on the beach and endless access to snacks and cartoons. Amid runs to the pier (okay so I only made it to the pier once), delicious communal meals, afternoon gospel discussions in the hot tub and quiet moments of reading and journal writing, I found so many inspiring little glimpses into my friends' lives. One inspired me to be more creative in my solutions to problems (by fashioning a window shade from a baby blanket and a coat-hanger); Another reminded me of the sweet joy of using our talents to bless others (evidence of this to come in a future post); Another impressed me, as always, with her unfailing patience and love for her children; And still another taught me the importance of living in the moment and taking the time necessary to care for myself and my family without feeling anxious that I'm missing out on interaction with friends.

In next few days, as I finish sifting the sand from our clothes and towels, I'll be sifting these insights, pondering which ones I'm ready to try and bring into my life, and which ones are best admired from afar for now. I've learned that expecting myself to instantly morph into the good examples I see all around me is ineffective and diminishes my self worth. I need to have respect for my own unique nature and draw from other people only what I'm ready to receive.

Updates...

No news from the potential job in Atlanta. WE'RE NEVER GOING TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM THEM FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES! THEY'VE FALLEN OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH! Ahem...I mean, maybe next week?

Brigham has been thrown over by his first girlfriend- because he's too short. He's taking it pretty well.

Little Eric likes his new haircut (oops- I forgot to post pictures...coming soon).

Marley has learned to say 'nice' and to hit.

Big Eric ate a live cricket on a dare. Evidence below:



I really like this (if you can't see the whole thing, click on the link at the top of the box):

10 comments:

cindy baldwin said...

NASTY!!!

Robyn said...

Katie, this post is exactly the reason I love and admire you so much. Insightful, genuine, witty, funny.

Elise said...

Katie - thank you so much for this post. Your vacation sounds heavenly, truly the most wonderful I could imagine. And thanks for the video - after I'd seen the link a million times, you are the one to finally inspire me to watch it. Very nice.

Cindy said...

Ok, first of all the video is 100x better than the pictures!

And I love your observation that sometimes we're better off admiring traits from afar. I think I will have to incorporate that idea in my life a little better!

Danielle Bahr said...

I hope you come to Atlanta! That's where we are :)

E B said...

Sick! But you all look good! I'm glad you could take a vacation. Was that a glimpse of Eric's haircut there at the end?

Lindsay said...

Oh boy. Now I have that disgusting 'cricket feeling' in the pit of my stomach again. If I can't even recover after WATCHING it happen, it's a good thing I didn't eat it myself!

Laura said...

Now why is all I can ask? That is just awful! I love the post and glad you had such a great time there! We are going to OBX in Aug and I can't wait! I love that about nie nie too...so many amazing people, so many hard things...And yes, I feel the same about looking at the things others can do and then looking at all that I can't do...I need to take one step at a time and maybe keep and improvement for more than a day!

Shannon said...

Natalie was just telling one of our cats that he couldn't eat a bug 'cause it was gross...so I told her about Eric's cricket adventure. We watched the video and can't believe how the boys have grown. Thanks for sharing the amusement!

Andrea said...

Great trip--loved reading about it. I am still sick about the cricket and wondering if $10 would be worth it . . . Eric continues to keep life interesting!

We have a common friend--Liz K. I met her in Madison last year. We BOTH admire you from afar!

Lastly, thanks for your thoughts about balance. I think you are FABULOUS!