8.2.10

bzzzzzzzz.....



Thanks to my new calling at church, I get to spend my Sundays with teenage girls for the foreseeable future. The boys laughed when I told them I get to teach the "beehives", which is what the 12- and 13-year-olds are called, especially when Eric told them that if I did a good job I would be promoted to the "wasp's nest" (he made that up).

Yesterday was my first day. I went to the Young Women's room after Sunday school and was given a phone list (almost every girl has her own cell phone, I was amazed to see), a birthday list and a calendar full of fun activities for the month of February. As I looked at the calendar I felt a familiar twinge of excitement. I joined the Mormon church when I was 16, so I participated in the youth program for about a year-and-a-half. I remember I would painstakingly transfer each scheduled activity into my day-planner and draw little pictures around them in marker. These goings-on were the highlights of my life. I looked forward to them so much. The little seeds of testimony that have grown and supported me throughout the last 12 years were sewn during those times. And now I get to help create those experiences for these girls.

The best part is something that I had totally forgotten about- Young Women's is all about building up. During our lesson yesterday we were given a treat with a little reminder to:

Forget your "worldly" value- Remember your true "werth". You are an "original" and unique daughter of God! He loves you!

(Can you guess what the candy was? So creative!)

Even now, my eyes fill with tears at that beautiful, simple message. I think we all need frequent reminders of our true worth.

Then I learned that I need to be able to text and be on Facebook in order to keep up with my girls. I think I can learn how to text, but Facebook...I just can't. Sorry girls.

*I awoke to these little critters yesterday morning...little Eric rediscovered this book that my very fun and creative aunt and uncle gave him a few years ago.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Katie--I'm so excited for both you and the girls--you're going to be awesome!

And I'm LOL about the pears!

Laura Oler said...

Wow. those pear critters are AMAZING! Did little Eric make them all by himself?! Totally cute! And so fun for you to be in YW. That was my first calling here, and it was a lot of fun (and how I ended up on facebook).

LizzyP said...

oh, those girls are so lucky! They wouldn't have a facebook friend in me either, unfortunately. Who knows, perhaps you'll start a trend???

E B said...

I'm not a fan of Facebook either. But I am a fan of texting - otherwise I'd never hear from my husband when he's at school! I am also a fan of monitoring youth so I'd do Facebook if I had to. (Shudder, shudder!)

Kerri McMahon said...

Awww what cute pear critters.

The girls will love having you as a leader. Too bad my kids are to old to hang around in your group. :)

Oh and NONE of my kids have cell phones OR get to text. I am the evil mom but I have learned to live with that title and am ok. LOL They have private facebook accounts though. Although one is never on it. I am told that they are out of the loop on church and friend stuff and it is my fault for not getting them phones. ;p

Kathleen said...

LOVE the pears, and you will be A-MAZ-ing with the girls, and might even be mistaken for one of them sometimes ;)Enjoy every minute!