9.12.09

In my kitchen RIGHT NOW...


...you won't believe it...is a real-live Duke basketball player.  If your name is Eric (big or small), you fell all over yourself preparing for this major event.  Big Eric hurriedly removed the jumble of shoes, dirty socks and candy cane wrappers from the front porch so it wouldn't look, as he said, "so redneck".  Then he swept the floor and shooed me out of the kitchen where I was in the middle of frosting Christmas cookies.  Little Eric brought in his basketball from the driveway, combed his hair and hopped around saying "Is he here yet?  Is he?".  Brigham and I didn't know what all the fuss was about- I mean the poor kid is just a walk-on who needs help with his Econ final.  I'm more excited about the money, frankly.  But it was kind of fun to see them so excited.  He was very gracious and sweet with the boys- Eric got his ball signed and Brigham offered him a menorah he had made out of tin foil.  

This afternoon we went to the park with our good friends the Alders.  As we were leaving another boy asked Eric and Brigham why they had two mommies.  I laughed as his Dad explained that I was their mommy and the other lady was their friend.  As I drove away I understood his confusion- Carson and McKenzie are just as happy to have me watch them do a trick on the swings as their mom.  My kids will ask Linds to tie their shoe or show her a cool bug.  Our friends are truly like family to us and we are so lucky.  It seems like more and more of you are far away from us, but we think about you all the time...





Eric told me last night that he had gotten a $150 ticket for driving with expired tags.  Which prompted me to think that I am also driving with expired tags (but least mine were good until October- his expired in August!).  "They never sent me anything in the mail about it!" is what I said, which is verbatim what I also said to the police officer when this happened to me a year ago.  When will I learn?  Apparently due to cost-cutting measures, the DMV has decided to just stop sending out registration reminders and leave it up to drivers to remember when their tags expire.  I say that's discrimination against people with bad memories.  It's a MEMORY TAX!!  That is so unfair.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, we have SO BEEN THERE! With friends who feel like family, too, but what I'm really feeling for you is the tag thing. I hate that! We had a problem with it 2 years ago, that we thought was cleared up but no, then they wanted over $300 last year! Fortunately Russ found someone at the dmv who was actually a human, and who listened and had mercy. I think I will put when ours is up in my automatically reminding calendar program. How on earth would you ever know otherwise??

Melissa E Photography said...

Katie, when that kid asked why Brigham has two moms you should have told them you were Mormons. A son named Brigham with two moms? It doesn't get any more Mormon than that! :)

Katie said...

Ha! I never thought of that!! I'll be ready for it next time:)

team howey said...

I hope when you guys move back to Seattle (wishing!) that our kids will still be the best of friends. I love those chubby (mine) and solid (yours) babies of ours. You even have a picture of the blue pillow! So funny! I do think of you like a sister so maybe my kids will call you auntie Katie and then no one here will think we're a couple...:)

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the well-priced Endpoint Security tool for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: [url=http://www.n-able.com] N-able N-central system monitoring
[/url] ? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!