16.12.09

Eight

“He’s fine, Katie…he’s with his Dad!”  

I nodded from the backseat, on my way to the fabric store with two friends, my first outing away from my newborn son.  I felt silly for worrying about my baby when I’d left him with his own father.  So along with the panic and the guilt, there was vindication when I heard my name being called over the store intercom a half an hour later.  I could already hear the tiny screams as I reached across the cutting counter for the phone.  

I felt like a paramedic arriving on the scene when I walked through the door.  Stand back please…I’ll take it from here.  His face was red and sweaty from crying, his arms and legs moved frantically.  I could feel him melt with relief as I nursed him, the sounds of sucking interrupted periodically by post-crying hiccups.

Years later now, when I ask for a hug goodnight he holds his body rigid and breaks away quickly.  Shaggy bangs cover the eyes that used to gaze so unflinchingly into mine while he nursed.  But we play a game sometimes.  I lock my arms around him and ask for the password as he laughs and squirms.  With each wrong guess I tighten my grip and he laughs harder.  Tonight I drag the game out… “Not that one…wrong…nope, try again!”  Concern flickers in his brother’s eyes.  “I think that’s too tight Mama.” 

“No,” he says through his giggles, “Tighter...tighter.”


9 comments:

Elise said...

Beautiful! Can't get enough of those boy hugs, no matter what it takes to get them.

s g said...

love this post...they really do grow so fast! I can't believe he is 8!!!

Cailean said...

You are able to convey such strong emotions with a mere few paragraphs. I can't believe our kids are reaching this age. I've been struggling with how to deal with a 7 year old who is struggling with her own desire to separate and be independent and yet stay close to what is familiar.

E B said...

I love the way you express yourself, Katie. I always have. I am now sad for the day my girls won't be snuggly.

Melissa E Photography said...

You can seriously write, lady. Great post. And that picture cannot be 8 years old! You still look that good!

Andrea said...

AWESOME.

Eric Aldrich said...

Alright...I have to set the record straight! When you left with your friends, I remember asking, "How long has it been since he's eaten?" To which you responded (in a very Magruder fashion), "Oh, probably about half an hour. We won't be long, so it will be okay." It turned out that it had been 1.5 hours or more. And then you got sucked into that vortex of vortices that we call Jo-Ann Fabrics. My general beef with that store is a rant for another time, but let's just say that it's impossible to spend only half an hour in there, even if you just want to buy a safety pin!

Lindsay said...

Great post! Oh how I wish we could hang onto all the wonderful things of each phase, and still let them grow up. :)

Linda said...

Beautiful