19.3.09

Today we went to Costco...



...and something great happened. You know how when kids are really little they pass developmental milestones like every few weeks? Rolling over, sitting up, teeth, eating solids, crawling, walking, potty training, etc. And then after a while things start to slow down and you get kind of bored with them. Just kidding, but the "firsts" are fewer and farther between. Well we had one tonight: the first time I left my kids with the shopping cart in front of the store while I went to get the car so I didn't have to load groceries in the rain. Lovely.

It was a long day- both had friends of the 'girl' variety over to play this afternoon. While eating our hotdogs at Costco Eric was telling Brigham that he had to choose between his two supposed 'girlfriends'. I told him he could have as many girlfriends as he wanted- girlfriends are just friends who are girls.

B: Yeah Eric, they're just friends who are girls when you're a kid.

Me: What are they when you're older Brigham?

B: Your wife!

Me: Oh. What's a wife?

B: You know, she's like your mom, only not as old.

Rather profound, I thought. It was so nice to sit there with my boys, eating hotdogs and churros, drinking sprite from a can because the soda fountain was broken and trying to ignore the fact that the baby was getting hungry and I was going to have to breastfeed in the middle of Costco.

And, for Eryn, some pictures of Marley:




And now I should really go pack for the beach, since I'm skipping book club for just that purpose, and I do not skip book club lightly. I'm just not going to think about the fact that it's raining and cold and I definitely will not be getting a tan.

5 comments:

Elise said...

What wonderful pictures! (Enjoyed the Costco dialog as well.) Thanks for sharing.

Cailean said...

It is so fun to see you with a little girl. I can't believe how old your boys are! Eric's hair is longer than I've ever seen it!

team howey said...

THANKS! All the kids are so adorable; I love to see pictures of them. Marley is so beautiful. Her features are so delicate! Are you coming to DC in May so I can meet her?

laura allen said...

What a cute dress Marley has on!

Laura said...

love the pics--she is getting so big already! brig is so funny--kids are so smart! and i will also say WOW!!! I love what you wrote! It is just stunning! write so more--I would love to read it!!!!