16.3.09

That Day



My hand holds the spoon and shakes.
I've waited for this day
For the leash of time and space which ties us together
Now short and taught,
to slacken
So that I can stretch my arms and legs
a bit,
But my hand shakes
and I remember another day

I realize, as you swallow, that that day
That day that I roared you into life
That day with its blood and tears and soft, new skin
That day is mine.
It belongs to me.
You do not.

You didn't begin on that day
It was not my hand that shaped your spirit,
which I have mostly yet to meet.
It was another hand, on another day and
you belong to Him.
And to yourself.

9 comments:

Elise said...

Wow!!

Andrea said...

WOW is right! Katie, that is really great. I LOVE it. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Kate Alexis said...

so beautiful it brings tears

Cailean said...

Katie, you're amazing and you never cease to amaze. Wow.

LizzyP said...

Passionate. That's what you are. Thanks for letting us in our your passion, Katie.

Cindy said...

Wow, Katie, that is so beautiful! And so profound.

Rachel said...

Are you kidding me? Wow! Beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Laura Oler said...

Wow, so beautiful. Definitely expresses thoughts I've had, but much more beautifully than I ever could. Thanks.

Eric Aldrich said...

Surprised? I'm your husband and even I didn't know you could write like that! It's really beautiful...makes me want to cry. You should write more poems...and I should read your blog more frequently. I love you.