14.11.08

For my little Eric on his birthday...

...my very favorite poem in all the world:

Since You Were Born
by Darlene Young

Since you were born I’ve never been alone,
never will be, standing now at zero on a line
that stretches out forever to the right.
Always at the edges of my sight
you pull at me, your dance a haunting grace.
Nevermore I’ll live in just one place:
my restless senses stretch like tentacles into
other rooms and lives to protect you.

Since you were born, I’ve stood upon a cliff,
exposed to gales until I’m stony stiff
with fear, which I disguise as rules or whims
to keep you safe. Humming the hymn
of “all is well” to soothe myself, I stride
ahead. But dizzy with an inward tide,
the wash and pull between “enough” and “should,”
I flinch. Constant atonement, motherhood.

Since you were born there comes sometimes at night
a sense there’s something dark that I must fight
without a sword. At night, upon my chest
you and all your children’s children rest,
a leaden handicap of dread, of grace.
The future is both straightjacket and brace;
for though I gasp, I must admit the cost
of breath is just: untethered, I’d be lost—

because, since you were born, I’ve tasted fruit
I never knew could grow from the thin root
of my cold life. I’ve savored all your grins,
your honeyed sleep, the freshness of your skin—
delicious. This new fruit is more than sweet;
my tongue prickles with terror as I eat.
But even terror lends a tang: it’s joy,
since you were born. My son, it tastes like joy.











7 comments:

Darlene said...

Glad you liked my poem! I'd be interested in hearing where you first read it.

Laura Oler said...

I loved that poem! Thanks for sharing. Great pictures of Eric, too. He's getting so big -- he seemed so grown up when he was here.

team howey said...

I remember that picture in the leaves like it was yesterday. I have the same one with Tucker and Eric. He gets more handsome every day!

Cindy said...

Katie--really beautiful poem! And the pictures of Eric are great. Happy birthday Eric!

elizabeth said...

What a sweet poem! Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday to little Eric.

Anonymous said...

Katie, this blog entry is so beautiful and touching. It really expresses the depths of the love you have for your children. I hope they all know what an incredible mother they have <3

Cailean said...

Was that leaves one when we did the photo shoot on the trail? I loved seeing him growing up in pictures! Happy Birthday to Eric!