23.7.08

L'Alpe is no match for him....



Just had to post this pic of Eric riding up L'Alpe d'Huez a few weeks ago while he was in France for a school conference. I watched the riders in the Tour ride up it this morning while I slogged away on my trainer. This baby has decided to live INSIDE my pelvis, so I've been temporarily sidelined from running:-(. I'm far too shaky on the bike under the best of circumstances, so I stick to the trainer, which, when you're watching the Tour de France on TV and can pretend that you're riding in the Alps instead of your bedroom, is not all that bad. Anyway, I was impressed to note that Eric had done it faster than the slowest Tour riders today. Of course, they'd already ridden over a hundred miles and two other mountains, but still. He looks so cute:). He thinks I tolerate his cycling because I know he would never give it up, but I really am so proud of what a good athlete he is. I'll always remember arriving at the start of a race we did together last fall and being ready to tell anyone who looked at me funny, "I'm with him!"

Another random note- while eating dinner the other day, little Eric asked if we were poor. I laughed and told him no, but Eric, ever the economist, launched into an explanation of relative wealth, explaining that if you compare us to the average Brazilian, who has a dirt floor, no car and plastic furniture, then we're very rich, but if you compare us to someone with tons of money, like.....like.....and as he struggled for a name the kids would recognize, Brigham cheerfully blurted, "Tom Selleck?" That made our night.

One more random note- I really don't know how much longer I can take being ostracized in my own home. Lately, whenever Eric or one of the boys approaches me, they start to speak and then pull the neck of their shirt up over their nose and back away in disgust. This is because for about an hour after every meal I can be found at the computer, the sink, or wherever I happen to be with cup full of regurgitated food close by. Yes. Regurgitated. My favorite reaction to this lovely pregnancy symptom (separate and distinct from vomiting) was from our friend Rod, a Radiology resident who said, without missing a beat, "yeah, that progesterone's a killer isn't it?" It certainly is. I long for the day when my stomach returns to its normal capacity. I've been told to eat six small meals a day. I refuse to do that. I'm pregnant. I get real hungry. I want a MEAL, not a wimpy little snack.

So, for the next 11 weeks I plan to eat like a normal person, not graze like some cow, and then proceed to upchuck a good ten percent of what I've eaten. Don't worry, my weight gain has not been affected in the least since I always eat whenever I'm hungry, it's just really, really gross. And a bit of a problem when we eat out or with friends. You should see the warning looks Eric shoots me as I reach for dessert. I should really go though, my cup is about to overflow, and not with love....

10 comments:

Robyn said...

How the heck do your kids know who Tom Selleck is? You guys inspire me to be more athletic! Someday I will call you to talk about running. I'd love some advice.

s g said...

That is so funny about Tom Selleck...and I am so sorry you have had the regurgitation problem...wow, and you still have it, not fun. Vomiting was one of my favorite past times being prego with Lewis...when I got off the bus, when I got into work...etc...it was great...not really. I am excited for your real tummy to return.

Brigham looks so cute in his glasses on his first day of school. I can't believe they are both gone...loved your post about that.

Andrea said...

Katie--I love imagining you riding your heart out on your trainer! Nice work.

So sorry about the food issue--no fun.

Laura Oler said...

I had to laugh at Eric's economic explanation. Mitch picked this up from a friend and thinks it's great -- if the kids say something isn't fair, he says, "What's fair?" And then tells them "Living in a cardboard box in Mexico." Even though he's explained it, I'm not sure they really get it, but at some point they probably will. So how do your kids know Tom Selleck?

Katie said...

After about 10 minutes of questioning, we discovered a Tom Selleck reference in the movie "Meet the Robinsons". They had no idea who he was, but apparently they thought he was really rich!

Kathleen said...

I can't believe that you only have 11 weeks left! Crazy! I hope that your stomach calms down. You could always try lots of amazing little meals? :) I'm sure you've got it covered.
K

Elise said...

I'm sitting here laughing, and it wasn't the Tom Selleck comment that got me (though I loved that too). Great visualization of your digestive challenges - hang in there!

Mercedes said...

I absolutely love Tom Selleck! He's utterly adorable, and Magnum PI was so exciting. Good job, Big Eric! That's really exciting. :)

Lindsay said...

That's so fun that you have a picture of him! Do they take pictures of everyone as they're riding up?

And, I just have to smile at your little regurgitation problem. :) You may not be sick the first few months...but at least you have SOME physical issues!

The Kimber Crew said...

Katie, I think Brigham is the funniest human being ever made, and he gets to be in your family! So fun! Maybe LYdia will be funny too when she learns to talk. She makes me laugh quite a bit now so chances are...I hear you on the pregnancy issues. Hungry, hungry, hungry! --Brenna