13.7.11

Numbering the days


I was racing against the mercury this morning, rushing through my routine in an attempt to squeeze in a run before it got too hot for the girls to be outside. I paused to send a quick email to my mom about our plans to visit next week. When I looked up, Marley was buckling her baby doll into the swing-o-matic.

What is it about a newborn that makes you want to stop time? As Eric blessed Ellie on Sunday, I opened my eyes in surprise at the word woman. It was a reminder that my days of holding her limp, sleeping body against my chest are numbered.

But Marley, her baby doll, and my email reminded me of something: that when all of this is over- when I've read No, David for the last time, and had the last underwater tea party, and pushed my heavy-laden jogging stroller up the last hill....when the last lego has been stepped on, the last scout badge earned, and the last Halloween costume made...when the last prom dress has been altered, and the last college essay proofread....when all of that is behind me....


There will be grandchildren.

7 comments:

Mindy said...

Which is awesome! Though...as we get ready for our last to leave...words don't really describe.. :)

E B said...

I love those pictures! And you're right. Our arms won't be empty.

Lindsay said...

Nope - I'm pretty sure I'll figure out a way to stop the time. :)

Russ said...

A newborn in the house and you've already got her married off. Who is the lucky guy? Has he been born yet? :)

Kathleen said...

Thanks Katie, good reminder, cuz mine keep getting bigger . . . and someday, I want them to have kids JUST LIKE THEMSELVES! ;)

Laura said...

I can't even think that far!!! Though that will definitely make my last 50 years worth it though!! Beautiful little one!! I can't believe that she is here and you have 4! btw, I love the music you have on here now!!! Love ya!

laura allen said...

wow. Little Eric poppin' that collar.