4.2.11

Dear Patty,

It's been years, but I thought of you yesterday. I know you've long since moved on from being camp nurse to 100 girls in the Virginia mountains, and heaven knows I'm not the skinny, bug-bitten ten-year-old you comforted during her first summer away from home.

But yesterday was one of those days- and I remembered the Sunday afternoon of parents weekend that first summer. I was so sad to have to say goodbye to my family for another three weeks. My counselor noticed something wasn't right and asked me if I was feeling okay. I silently shook my head and the tears spilled out.

I lied and said that my stomach hurt, so she sent me off to the infirmary, where you gave me a hug and a spoonful of Pepto-Bismol and let me take a nap on one of the red bunkbeds. When I woke up I felt better and went back to my cabin and friends. At the end of the summer, of course, I cried when it was time to go home.

Let's just say that yesterday, my stomach hurt. And oh how I longed for a nap and a hug (I'll pass on the Pepto this time) to make it all go away. But the memory was almost as good.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

:( I don't have red bunkbeds, but I wish you could have come over to take a nap on my guest bed. I would have even given you a red blanket.

Kate Alexis said...

Oh Katie! I think of camp so often and if it hadn't been for you I wouldn't have those wonderful memories! xo.

laura allen said...

I've been sick too:( I was just thinking about how silly it is that, even as an adult, I wish my mom was here to make me ramen noodle soup....and then I was thinking about you and the little things you probably do for your kids when they are sick....and how much they will miss it when they are adults...and still have to go to work even when they feel miserable.

If only they had red bunk beds and a Patty here!