16.10.09

Marley's big day



I've been holding off posting because I wanted to write about things in chronological order, which means first I have to post about our trip to France, but I'm still waiting on the pictures from my cousin (Ahem!), so I'm going to go ahead before all these other thoughts get tired of hanging out in my head and decide to leave.  First up: Marley's birthday...

We spent 9 1/2 hours on an airplane together, which was lovely, but not exactly a one year old's dream birthday, so we had a take-two the day after we got home.



Can you tell how utterly exhausted she is in this picture?  I've decided that although we had a wonderful time in France, the physical deprivations of travel are just too much for me right now.  I need sleep, decent food and exercise and I need for my children to have those things. We're on travel hiatus, so if you want to see us, you have to come here!  

Marley took the brunt of it, I'm afraid.  14 days of nothing but bread and chocolate to eat and 6 hours of sleep a night with maybe a one-hour nap here and there really took it's toll on her.  We've been home for a week now and she is still sleeping a solid 13 hours at night and taking 3 1/2 hour naps everyday to make up for it.  

I've been thinking a lot of "this time last year" thoughts as her birthday approached.   Our family is different after one year of Marley-ness.  Busier, messier, sleepier, gentler, slower, pinker, funnier and, of course, bigger.  I got in the car the other day after Eric had been driving it with the kids and I had to smile.  We just moved Marley to her forward-facing seat, and the rear-view mirror was tilted down, so that I could tell he had been sneaking peeks at her while he was driving- something I've been doing too.  I love those moments when you feel like two peas in a parenting pod.  

I told him that when Marley started crawling a few months ago it was like my nose hopping off my face and turning to look at me from across the room.  I was so used to always having her in my arms that it felt strange and different to see her at a distance.  She still likes to be held and will rest her head on my shoulder and twirl my hair in her one hand- oh I love that.  Her hair is getting darker and thicker and already I'm circling, ready to pounce with the bows and barrettes, if she'll only have pity on me and leave them in for more than two seconds.

She's a climber- I'm sure she'll outgrow the crib soon, unlike little Eric, who stayed in his crib until he was 3 1/2.  One day his friend Tucker was over and unwittingly demonstrated for him how to climb out of it.  I thought for sure the crib days were through, but you know what he did?  After that, if there was something he wanted, he would climb out, get it and climb right back in!  Marley is cut from a different cloth, and I can already tell that she will be hard to contain, in every way.  Yesterday, at her one-year-old check-up, she had to get her finger pricked.  The part that evoked a sustained, 90 second, ear-splitting scream was not the prick but the fact that the nurse would not let go of her finger.  

Bella-girl, you are beautiful and bright and strong.  I promise to always try to be your rock but not your cage.  Already I can see our differences, but I hope that we can use them to teach each other.  You have already taught me so much in one short year.  Happy birthday sweet baby.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

How come reading a post about YOUR baby made ME cry? She is just so wonderful, and I can't help but feel my own love and attachment to her.

I can *so* feel the love you and Eric have for her...she's a lucky girl. And, I seriously can't believe she's already a year old.

And, your totally right. 'Mama' looks much better... What would I do without a TRUE southerner for a friend?

elizabeth said...

I love your family pictures and I can't wait to hear about France, wow! Happy Birthday Marley!

Amy and Clark said...

I honestly can't believe it's been a year already. Wasn't she born just a month or two ago?!?!

Melissa E Photography said...

Oh, MAN! 6 hours of sleep at night? That's insane.

Happy B-day Marley! She is beautiful and I might have to find that cloth she is cut out of and make one of my own. :)

team howey said...

I forgot about Tuck teaching Eric to climb out of his crib. That's a funny memory! I can't believe a year has already passed. I love your sentiments about being her rock and not her cage. That is EXACTLY how I feel with Kay, though I've never expressed it so eloquently. Marley is a VERY LUCKY girl to have such a VERY AMAZING mother.

laura allen said...

Ok, so it took me a little while to send you the pictures... you forgot to mention that the camera was in lock down awaiting the bed bug machine!!!