22.4.08

Other people's ideas

Does anyone else go on quicktime.com and watch movie trailers when they're bored? I was doing that recently and I came across a documentary about the composer Phillip Glass. I've always loved some of his music and hated some as well, which, I think, is why I like him. I learned in college never to attach much significance to my reactions to art about which I knew nothing. Often, I found, it was the work I hated the most at first sight (or hearing) that, when I challenged myself to learn about it and try to appreciate it, spoke to me most profoundly. That's why I'll never regret choosing a major that provided me few job skills and very little earning power. My art history professors gave me the most profound gift: the realization that my gut reaction to anything I experience through my senses could possibly (but not necessarily) be the result of ignorance, and not a failing of the object or experience itself. Anyway, I was floored by this quote in the trailer for the Phillip Glass movie and I just can't get it out of my head:

"I never was a captive of other people's ideas about me. I've been that way my whole life and it's saved me a lot of problems."

The only sense in which I can relate is that I aspire to feel that way one day, probably very far in the future. I about had a melt down on the way home from the park the other day after a bunch of friends thought it was disgusting that I'd tasted dog food. What can I say? My kids were curious, and they got me curious, and we all tasted it. What got me about the whole exchange was not their reactions (I know they meant no harm at all), but that their reactions bothered me. I often wish I could be more like Eric, who, I'm pretty sure, is known around campus as that weird guy who never wears shoes. He could care less, because he loves not wearing shoes. In fact, I think a small part of him gets a kick out of all the stares he gets, and I have to say, I have a little of that "want-to-make-something-of-it?" spirit myself- after all, I did admit to tasting the dog food:). So maybe I'm on my way....in the meantime, thanks for shining the beacon, Phillip, even if you do write music to poetry that includes lines like "the dog is now licking the ant off the sidewalk". Who am I to judge? Maybe if I took the time, I'd realize just what a profound statement that is.

Oh, and it tastes like a salty cookie. You know you were wondering!

10 comments:

Robyn said...

How interesting Katie. You never came across to me as the type of person who would care less what anyone thought of her. Maybe that's because I thought so much of you! You are so well educated, so informed on things that blow my mind, etc. I think you are amazing, and I hope you do too!

Katie said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Robyn! Isn't it funny how differently we view ourselves, vs. the way other people see us?

Andrea said...

Katie--I loved this post. I like to think that I don't care what people think, but I am amazed at my reactions to things sometimes. When I step back I realize that I did or do care (sometimes--smile).

I love that quote. Now, how to teach my kids that?? Any pointers? Let me guess a steady diet of dog food and wearing no shoes?

I miss you as always!

Audrey said...

Katie,
That is a great quote. I would love to live my life that way too. I would never have thought that you would worry about what others thought because you are so cute and smart and fun. I LOVE that you tasted dog food and admitted it!!! The rest of us would maybe try it then never tell a soul. You are great and I LOVE your honesty!

cindy baldwin said...

Katie, I just love this post! Lots of food for thought. I hereby resolve to work harder on not being a victim of other peoples' ideas about me!

Andrea said...

Katie--is the quote by Phillip Glass or just on the movie? I googled it, but was unsuccessful. Thoughts?

Katie said...

Andrea- It was a quote from the movie, by Phillip Glass. If you go to quicktime.com and search for Phillip Glass, the trailer should come up.

Andrea said...

Thank you thank you!

Kathleen said...

I just have to tell you Katie, I love to read your blog. It's very fresh and real, and you :) Hope you're having a wonderful day,
K

Laura Oler said...

Dog food is definitely not the worst thing I've tasted. I also tend to care all too much about what people think, but I'm getting better with age. I'm not sure that's a good thing -- I'll probably be one of those tactless old ladies who says whatever she thinks!